Do I have to keep Moss 2007 upto date? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

This might be a silly question.  I am a newbie to sharepoint, and I was wondering wether to keep my Moss 2007 Version upto date?  Is it compulsory that I have to install all the hotfixes and Cummulative upgrades?  I have a Moss version of 12.0.0.6341.  If I need to,  What version should I upgrade to?  Please help.

Thanks
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 4:51 PM

Answers

• Yes the service packs introduce some new features, but usually not that many.  If you really want the new feature set then you should think about upgrading to SharePoint 2010, not just patching 2007.  The point is that yes its normally a good idea to keep up with patches, but no its not mandatory.  If your current system is filling your needs there is no overriding necessity to upgrade to the latest patch.  Its a good idea, but not essential.  Anytime you apply a patch you should thoroughly test your environment and the upgrade first.  Applying a patch can occasionally cause problems.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP Chief SharePoint
    Architect: Sharesquared Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.
    • Marked as answer by CAR285 Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 11:58 AM

All replies

• The old adage "If it aint broke don't fix it comes to mind."  Having said that, if you call Product support the first thing they will normally tell you is to bring our site up to current levels.
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Hi Paul,

My current version is running well and good. My question is, isin't my MOSS outdated?  SP3 has been released. Is it good if I install SP3 since it is the latest?

Thanks
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Yes the service packs introduce some new features, but usually not that many.  If you really want the new feature set then you should think about upgrading to SharePoint 2010, not just patching 2007.  The point is that yes its normally a good idea to keep up with patches, but no its not mandatory.  If your current system is filling your needs there is no overriding necessity to upgrade to the latest patch.  Its a good idea, but not essential.  Anytime you apply a patch you should thoroughly test your environment and the upgrade first.  Applying a patch can occasionally cause problems.
    • Marked as answer by CAR285 Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Thank you for your suggestions and time paul. 
    Thanks
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:00 PM