Windows Aero Effects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone :)

My problem is that the Aero effects are not working. Currently, windows is running Windows 7 basic theme. The problem occurred on 9th of January 2015 when I was downloading a file and several problems happened (the file wouldn't download, the laptop became slower), i figured it might have been a virus so i ran an antivirus and system cleaner but still that didn't solve the problem. My laptop is running Windows 7 Ultimate and is up for the minimum system requirements and the Aero effects were working perfectly fine before.

I tried many solutions but none of them worked, including :-

1- Trying to restart Desktop Window Manager which didn't change a thing.

2- Tried running the troubleshooting wizard which pointed out the problem (Desktop Window Manager is disabled) but was useless when it came to actually solve the problem.

3- System restore which restored my laptop's settings to 9th Jan 2015 (and that was the furthest thing it could return to) but the problem was still there.

4- I tried updating my Intel graphic driver.

5- I tried many other solutions which were presented on this thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a5ec19b3-4cea-43ab-8ca8-509ef60578b4/windows-aero-no-longer-worksfixed

I ran out of options and i'm considering doing a format but i'm not sure if this is gonna fix the problem or not. Are there other solutions I can try? Do you have any other suggestions? 

Thanks in advance :)

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 7:37 PM

All replies

• Can you select the windows classic theme as default, after that try to switch to the Aero glass theme.

Be sure that the virusses are gone. (adwcleaner)

Maybe clean your pc with CCleaner wil help.

Come back and mark replies as answer if they help, and help others with the same problem.

• Edited by AWH84 Wednesday, January 21, 2015 7:49 PM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 7:41 PM
  • I ran the antivirus back then and it did get rid of the "suspicious" files and the cleaner i used was in fact CCleaner. And now i tried the theme solution you mentioned but that didn't work.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:11 PM
  • Hi,

Generally speaking, this problem probably caused by graphic driver is not loaded. It would be better to reinstall the driver for test. In addition, follow the steps below to make a troubeshooting with this problem.

1. Checked that Windows Experience Index has ran – Graphics is rated at 4.9
    2.  Checked that the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service is Started in Services.msc
    3. Performed a net stop UxSms and net start UxSms (the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service)
    4. Checked that the Enum key did not exist under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UxSms\Enum
    5. Ran winsat dwm -v
    6.  Left the computer on and idle for a while
    7.  Restarted the computer several times

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 22, 2015 3:19 PM
  • Reinstalling the driver? i'm kinda afraid to damage the system. I CAN uninstall it but until i install it again, wouldn't that damage the system? (i'm sorry i'm kinda new to these matters so i wouldn't really know), but anyways when i noticed this problem i did update my graphics driver in hope that it would solve the problem, but it didn't so idk.

1- I'm kinda surprised, cuz how did you know that my graphics are actually rated 4.9? is it something related to Intel or something like that? 

2- I checked it several times and it seems to be working just fine.

3- Tried that as well, from Services.msc and also typed the command in CMD.

4- I just checked that, and no it doesn't exist.

5- I just did that, but i guess i'll have to restart the laptop again in order for it to take effect?

6- I always use my laptop but i guess i'll try that too and see if the problem fixes itself.

7- More times than i can count.

Thanks for your reply, i'll try some stuff right now and then i'll restart the laptop and see how it goes.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:21 PM
  • Hi,

Generally speaking, reinstall Graphic device driver won't damage the system, it just like a command software reintall, therefore, please reinstall the graphic card driver firstly to confirm if it is driver problem.

Actually, I don't your system experience index rate, but it would be better to have a higher score.

Since you said:" Tried that as well, from Services.msc and also typed the command in CMD." That's to say the service Desktop Window Manager Session Manager is keep running, isn't it?

Roger Lu

Friday, January 23, 2015 2:26 AM
  • Hi again :)

Well, i just reintalled the graphic driver but, unfortunatly, that didn't solve the problem.

Yeah, but I've had that score even before the problem occurred.

Yes, it seems like Desktop Window Manager is working properly.

If only i can know what exactly is the problem, but i just don't know what it is.

Friday, January 23, 2015 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, this problem can also relate with these Windows componments and settings below:

1. Register the following dll files

Regsvr32  udwm.dll
                Regsvr32  milcore.dll

2. Group Policy, make sure following policy was disabled or unconfigured

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Desktop WindowManager\ "Do not allow desktop composition"

3. Check the following registry keys:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\Composition                   set to 1
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\CompositionPolicy           set to 2

4. Download and Install latest Java Runtime Environment from http://www.java.com/en/

If problem persists, maybe we have to make system restore to revert your system to a former normal time point to fix this problem.

Roger Lu

• Edited by Roger Lu Monday, January 26, 2015 7:23 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:31 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 7:22 AM
  • 1- I tried registering the dll files but it gave me this error : "The Module 'udwm.dll' was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that 'udwm.dll' is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again." with both of them.

2- I'm kinda lost at this point, how do I do it?

3- Yep they're all set like that.

4- I installed that and restarted my laptop but it's still the same.

When the problem occurred i tried system restore but the furthest point of restoring was hours after the problem, and i did it nonetheless but it didn't solve the problem, that's why system format might be the best solution for now, i don't really know.

Saturday, January 31, 2015 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

With so many methods used but none of them helpful with this problem. Maybe it's time to consider system reinsall to fix this problem.

Please backup your personal data which locate at system drive to other drive before system reinstall.

Roger Lu

Monday, February 9, 2015 3:23 AM
  • Yes it appears that this is the only solution as there are other problems which i can't solve that system reinstall might solve them. Yes I will keep in mind to backup my data and files.

Thank you so much for your time and help :)

Monday, February 16, 2015 5:19 PM
  • I have been having the same problem with Aero effects since February. All the "fixes" have produced no fix. Every time we turn on our computer we have to go through the troubleshooter and it fixes it temporarily, but it doesn't produce a permanent fix. We're running Windows 7 Home Premium Version. It's getting quite frustrating.

Thursday, March 26, 2015 11:17 PM