none
Hyper-V VM Will Not Boot off Windows 10 ISO File RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Hyper-V within my desktop's Windows 10 OS trying to follow along with an MCSE track Pluralsight series of videos and I am stuck at trying to boot up a Windows 10 vm in my small server farm. I got the 2016 domain controller up as well as a member server with no problems booting from those ISO files. I've tried downloading the ISO file twice now directly from Microsoft's site, and it simply will not boot from that file. Trying to understand what's wrong here.  It doesn't give me the option to press any key to boot from DVD, just skips right past and attempts to boot via network.
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 5:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Try changing the boot order, set the DVD Drive to the first option in the settings of the Hyper-V virtual machine.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, September 12, 2019 5:40 PM
  • Thanks, strange that the other VMs didn't require me to change the boot order.
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 5:46 PM
  • With Gen 2 VMs, I've always had boot issues when the ISO isn't assigned at the VM's creation.

Gen 1s never had that problem.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:14 PM
  • Yes, Generation 2 virtual machines boot slightly faster which could be one reason.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:43 PM
  • Just been having this very same issue.  Gen 2 boots so fast that I don't get chance to hit the "any" key.  Pulled my hair out for a while but came up with two simple solutions:

1. Move PXE boot up and wait for it to time out.  Works but frustrating waiting for it.

2. Add a second DVD drive and mount the ISO here too.  First one has timed out before connection has opened properly but second one hasn't.  It's cheap but it works.

• Edited by Alex Fletcher Friday, September 20, 2019 8:38 PM Spelling
    Friday, September 20, 2019 8:35 PM