none
VMMS Windows Service missing on Windows 2012 R2 host

Question

• Original Issue: Was the VMMS services stops and starts every minute

Issue now: VMMS services is missing by running the vmms /regserver

On a Windows Server 2012 R2 host server how can we get the vmms service back into windows services? Can we do this without uninstalling the Windows Role Hyper-V.

What has happened is the  /regserver has deleted the service and we need to put it back any suggestions will be welcome.

Thursday, April 25, 2019 7:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

Thanks for coming back to me,

Not there was now errors at all with the VMMS service before or after the accidental deletion. With the initial issue the service kept on stopping and starting which was happening every 10 seconds or so. We resolved this after we resorted the VMMS service.

Initial issue resolution:

Was our management software was causing the issue and removal and adding it back resolved the stopping and stating.

Issue now resolution:

sc config "VMMS" binpath= "C:\system32\vmms.exe"

sc config "VMMS" displayname= "Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management"

After adding the service the dependencies will be missing

So adding the dependencies and other settings into the service via the Registry we just copied from another hypervisor from this location:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vmms

And rebooted the server.

• Marked as answer by Ar3on Monday, April 29, 2019 9:11 AM
    Monday, April 29, 2019 9:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

“\Regserver” command will reset this service's file associations, manually register some of these key file types (like Dlls) in the systemboot. Perhaps, it would delete previous files associations. 

For now, we need collect more information and try some steps to see if it works.

1. What is the OS of the Hyper V host?

2. Please run sfc /scannow in the CMD to check if there's any corrupted or missing system files.

3. Please make sure your host updated with the latest hotfix.

4. Please also check if there's any error message regarding Hyper-V.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/virtual_pc_guy/2009/02/03/looking-at-the-hyper-v-event-log/

https://www.vembu.com/blog/hyper-v-event-logs-troubleshooting/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope above information can help you.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, April 26, 2019 2:57 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. We have found a resolution for this which has restored functionality to the Hyper-V console and Powershell commands for managing Virtual machines.

The command is:

The only thing is missing is the Description but its fine.

But my original issue still remains which is not good. I will post a new thread on " VMMS services stops and starts every minute"

• Marked as answer by Ar3on Friday, April 26, 2019 9:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ar3on Monday, April 29, 2019 9:11 AM
    Friday, April 26, 2019 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

I'm very glad that you get the resolution to address the issue.

Besides, is there any error for Hyper-V eventlogs regarding VMMS service?

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, April 26, 2019 10:22 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for coming back to me,

Not there was now errors at all with the VMMS service before or after the accidental deletion. With the initial issue the service kept on stopping and starting which was happening every 10 seconds or so. We resolved this after we resorted the VMMS service.

Initial issue resolution:

Was our management software was causing the issue and removal and adding it back resolved the stopping and stating.

Issue now resolution:

After adding the service the dependencies will be missing

So adding the dependencies and other settings into the service via the Registry we just copied from another hypervisor from this location:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vmms

And rebooted the server.

• Marked as answer by Ar3on Monday, April 29, 2019 9:11 AM
    Monday, April 29, 2019 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update. Congratulations!I'm glad your issue was resolved successfully!

Highly appreciate your effort and time. Also thanks for your sharing and support.

Have a nice day! 

Best regards,

Michael

Monday, April 29, 2019 9:32 AM