Disable smart quotes for custom style? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Word 2010 template that we use for IT architectural designs and documentation. We have defined several custom styles, including one for code blocks. The code block custom style is based on paragraph.

We need to disable smart quotes when using the code block in order to eliminate problems when copying/pasting the code into consoles, etc. Is there a way to build this into the custom style, so that it's always disabled, but only in the custom style block?

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:26 PM

Answers

• AFAIK that is not possible directly based on a paragraph style.

However, what I think could be done if your template was macro-enabled is to do a Find/Replace of the smart quotes that are contained in Code Block styles. The macro could execute automatically upon the Document Close event.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:25 PM

All replies

• AFAIK that is not possible directly based on a paragraph style.

However, what I think could be done if your template was macro-enabled is to do a Find/Replace of the smart quotes that are contained in Code Block styles. The macro could execute automatically upon the Document Close event.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Hi, Pat

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved?

Did you agree with Rich Michaels's point?

If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards, 

William Zhou

Forum Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, September 5, 2011 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards, 

William Zhou

Forum Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:27 AM