Task Sequence Not Activating Windows RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We use a MAK key here and Windows activation needs to be done manually. I tried to implement this into my task sequence, but it doesn't run. The commands are correct (I can run them interactively and they work), just Windows won't activate. What is the correct way to activate a MAK copy of Windows 7 through a task sequence?

Thanks

Jason

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:41 PM

Answers

• This is from a batch file I used to use, I've since switch to vbscript for some of the stuff I was doing in a batch file.

REM ************************************************************
    REM * Apply the Microsoft Windows MAK and activate the license *
    :WinAct
    REM Check Windows Version
    ver | findstr /i "6\.1\." > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 goto ver_Win7
    ver | findstr /i "6\.2\." > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 goto ver_Win8
    ver | findstr /i "6\.3\." > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 goto ver_Win81
    goto warn_and_exit

:ver_Win7
    :Run Windows 7 specific commands here
    cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
    NET STOP "SOFTWARE PROTECTION"
    NET START "SOFTWARE PROTECTION"
    cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato
    goto end

:ver_Win8
    :Run Windows 8 specific commands here
    goto end

:ver_Win81
    REM *** Removed, because the MAK is now set in the task sequence for 8.1 home machines.
    goto end

:warn_and_exit
    echo Machine OS cannot be determined. License has not been activated
    Pause

:End
    exit

If all you need to do is activate Windows, you only need "cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato"

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by N74JW Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:09 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:04 PM
  • Hi,

We use a MAK key here and Windows activation needs to be done manually. I tried to implement this into my task sequence, but it doesn't run. The commands are correct (I can run them interactively and they work), just Windows won't activate. What is the correct way to activate a MAK copy of Windows 7 through a task sequence?

Thanks

Jason

This is an older blog but, is the answer to your question Pay attention to Option 2:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2009/03/30/deploying-windows-7-vl-with-mak-multiple-access-keys-using-mdt-2010.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:00 PM
    • Edited by Ty Glander Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:02 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:00 PM
  • This is awesome! I would just add this as a script to run in the task sequence? 

Jason

As the blog and Dan says you will be activated if you: cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:22 PM
  • If the task sequence you created is being run on machines that will all use your MAK, then just add the key to your unattend file.

If you just want to activate Windows, then add a "Run command line" task to your task sequence.

If you want to use a batch file or vbscript, then import it as an application. Mark the app as hidden and in your task sequence add a "Install application" task and choose your application.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks

Jason

This is an older blog but, is the answer to your question Pay attention to Option 2:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2009/03/30/deploying-windows-7-vl-with-mak-multiple-access-keys-using-mdt-2010.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:00 PM
    • Edited by Ty Glander Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:02 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:00 PM
  • This is from a batch file I used to use, I've since switch to vbscript for some of the stuff I was doing in a batch file.

REM * Apply the Microsoft Windows MAK and activate the license *
    :WinAct
    REM Check Windows Version
    ver | findstr /i "6\.1\." > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 goto ver_Win7
    ver | findstr /i "6\.2\." > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 goto ver_Win8
    ver | findstr /i "6\.3\." > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 goto ver_Win81
    goto warn_and_exit

:ver_Win7
    :Run Windows 7 specific commands here
    goto end

:ver_Win8
    :Run Windows 8 specific commands here
    goto end

:ver_Win81
    REM *** Removed, because the MAK is now set in the task sequence for 8.1 home machines.
    goto end

:warn_and_exit
    echo Machine OS cannot be determined. License has not been activated
    Pause

:End
    exit

If all you need to do is activate Windows, you only need "cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato"

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:09 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:04 PM
  • This is awesome! I would just add this as a script to run in the task sequence? 

Jason

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:20 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ty Glander Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:20 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:09 PM
  • Is it better to specify the product key in the wizard to create the task, or to do so after, during deployment?

Thanks

Jason

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:10 PM

Jason

As the blog and Dan says you will be activated if you: cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:22 PM
  • If the task sequence you created is being run on machines that will all use your MAK, then just add the key to your unattend file.

If you just want to activate Windows, then add a "Run command line" task to your task sequence.

If you want to use a batch file or vbscript, then import it as an application. Mark the app as hidden and in your task sequence add a "Install application" task and choose your application.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:50 PM