none
Addition of project picture to PWA Project details page RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I hope someone can help

I have been asked to add product pictures to a power BI report I issue from PWA data. Is there a way to add pictures to the project details page for each of my projects so they can be added to my report?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Friday, June 1, 2018 12:23 PM

Answers

• In the past we have a "project" image library on the project sites to store project related images. We then use these in Power BI. In Power BI, use the URL for the image then set the field property in Power BI to an Image URL - it will then render the image assuming the user has access to the image. You could do the same with a central project image library on the PWA site, you would just need metadata with the image so you know which images relate to which project.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Sunday, June 3, 2018 10:03 AM
  • Hi Paul

Adapted your solution slightly but seems to work. I created an enterprise text custom field for the image URL. This is then pulled into Power BI.

This solution will give me a hyperlink in my report which opens up the picture in a new window but even when I use an image viewer and change the data type to image URL it will not show me anything but a broken picture icon. I don't suppose you know how I could fix this?

Thanks

Matt

• Marked as answer by Matt22365 Monday, June 4, 2018 12:33 PM
    Monday, June 4, 2018 10:39 AM

All replies

• Matt,

You can add an image viewer web part to a Project Detail Page that will allow you to insert an image on a PDP.

I am not sure if Power BI would then pick up this "content" to include in reporting - I would suggest creating a dedicated SharePoint image library for your product images so there is a consistent location for all the Product images you are going to be using.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Friday, June 1, 2018 12:58 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Power BI will not take these images from PWA.  Your only option is to manually add them as separate images in the Power BI report.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Friday, June 1, 2018 8:25 PM
  • In the past we have a "project" image library on the project sites to store project related images. We then use these in Power BI. In Power BI, use the URL for the image then set the field property in Power BI to an Image URL - it will then render the image assuming the user has access to the image. You could do the same with a central project image library on the PWA site, you would just need metadata with the image so you know which images relate to which project.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Sunday, June 3, 2018 10:03 AM
  • Hi Paul

With your solution, would the viewer have to have access to the source data?

How would I be able to link a picture gallery file to a specific project so the image changes depending on which project has been selected?

Thanks

Matt  

Monday, June 4, 2018 7:33 AM
  • That's a neat idea Paul, I should have thought about that as I have also used something similar...

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Monday, June 4, 2018 8:06 AM
  • Hi Paul

Adapted your solution slightly but seems to work. I created an enterprise text custom field for the image URL. This is then pulled into Power BI.

This solution will give me a hyperlink in my report which opens up the picture in a new window but even when I use an image viewer and change the data type to image URL it will not show me anything but a broken picture icon. I don't suppose you know how I could fix this?

Thanks

Matt

• Marked as answer by Matt22365 Monday, June 4, 2018 12:33 PM
    Monday, June 4, 2018 10:39 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for everyone's help. The issue of the image viewer not showing the picture is only happening on the desktop version, once published online the picture appears.

Slightly annoying as I use the desktop version more frequently but I can use this as a workaround

Thanks

Matt

Monday, June 4, 2018 12:33 PM