Multiple Network Interfaces RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have laptops with two interfaces Wired and Wireless. I want to be able to dynamically controll access to the Wireless network depending on the state of the Wired connection. Would NAP be able to disable the Wireless connection when the Wired connection is active, activate it when Wired disconnected without any intervention from the users?
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 10:08 AM

Answers

• This is possible by creating a new SHA/SHV pair
    Your SHA should collect information about the two network adapters status and sed it to the SHV
    The SHV should fail the health check if the Wired and the Wired adapter is connected and the wireless adapter is enabled
    The SHV remediation should be to disable the wireless

The problem is that the SHA will not re-enable the wireless when the wired adapter is disconnected
    Also if you deploy HRA servers that are accesible outside of your corp network you should be take care not to disable the the wireless when the connection is not to the cor network

Why do you want to disable the wireless in the first place?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry! Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, January 11, 2010 2:28 AM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:22 PM
  • Hi Nigel1959,

Thanks for the post.

I agree with Amos. As far as I know, Wireless cannot be dynamically enabled/disabled depending on the state of the wired connection.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, January 11, 2010 2:29 AM
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:19 AM

All replies

• This is possible by creating a new SHA/SHV pair
    Your SHA should collect information about the two network adapters status and sed it to the SHV
    The SHV should fail the health check if the Wired and the Wired adapter is connected and the wireless adapter is enabled
    The SHV remediation should be to disable the wireless

The problem is that the SHA will not re-enable the wireless when the wired adapter is disconnected
    Also if you deploy HRA servers that are accesible outside of your corp network you should be take care not to disable the the wireless when the connection is not to the cor network

Why do you want to disable the wireless in the first place?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry! Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, January 11, 2010 2:28 AM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:22 PM
  • The reason to disable the wireless is as follows:

User connects laptop to wired network (wireless adapter is enabled) gets connected to Wired but because wireless is enabled also associates with WLAN and gets IP address there as well. Users data uses the wired network because of routing metric. The unused WLAN connection is using WLAN resources (IP addresses, Firewall licenses etc). If the Wireless was disabled then the WLAN resources would not be used.

However, if the user should unplug from the wired network and move to a meeting area they should connect to the wireless network. From what you say this would not happen.

As you can see what I want is the wireless to be dynamically enabled/disabled depending on the state of the wired connection.

For info; the WLAN is an Aruba centrally managed network spread over many sites using a Master and many Local Wireless LAN Controllers.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Hi Nigel1959,

Thanks for the post.

I agree with Amos. As far as I know, Wireless cannot be dynamically enabled/disabled depending on the state of the wired connection.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, January 11, 2010 2:29 AM
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:19 AM