none
Domain was not prepped for Exchange 2007, but somehow it's running RRS feed

• Question

• Short version - Received "Cannot find the Recipient Update Service responsible for domain" error when installing Exchange 2007 Mgmt tools on a new 32-bit workstation.  Research led me to find that the objectVersion value for our Microsoft Exchange System Objects properties is 6936 instead of 11221.  What should I expect to happen to my existing environment if I run all of the setup prep parameters now?

Inherited Exchange Enterprise 2007 SP1 install on one Server 2008 server.

Thanks.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:30 PM

Answers

• These:

setup /PrepareLegacyExchangePermissions
    setup /PrepareSchema
    setup /PrepareAD
    setup /PrepareDomain

You don't need to run these switches. The SP3-installation will do it for you if you run the installation with the required permissions.

...and Yes, I highly recommend that you bring your Server up to a supported level.

Martina Miskovic

Friday, February 15, 2013 3:58 PM

All replies

• Inherited Exchange Enterprise 2007 SP1 install on one Server 2008 server.

Thanks.

Hi,
    Exchange 2007 SP1 hasn't been supported for over two years and you really should get your server up to a supported level. That means, installing SP3 and one the later Rolllups (RU10 is out)

I wouldn't be surprised if that would "fix" the objectVersion of MESO.

Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 3
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24111

Update Rollup 10 for Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 3 (KB2788321)
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36708

Also see: How to Remove the Last Legacy Exchange Server from an Organization
    ...and look for the information on how to remove Recipient Update Service. Something that should have been done when the last Exchange 2003 was decommissioned.

Martina Miskovic

Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:08 PM
  • Thanks Martina.  I actually came from an environment where we had just deployed Exchange 2010 in the summer of 2011.  I completely agree with upgrading to a later service pack, or my preference would be to go to at least Exchange 2010 for now. 

This "discovery" happened out of necessity to restore a user's messages that were deleted from her mailbox.  I was attempting to export messages and encounterd the "you don't have a 32-bit machine" message.  Upon installing the tools on a new 32-bit virtual I encountered the Recipient Update error and discovered this domain was properly prepped for the Exchange install.  I was told today that upon install a few years back that NO names were showing up in Exchange, just SSIDs!!  So who knows just how bad this thing is setup. 

So what you recommend?  Run setup with all of the switches, then install SP3 and then the latest Rollup?

Thanks,

Nelson

Friday, February 15, 2013 3:50 PM
  • These:

setup /PrepareSchema
    setup /PrepareAD
    setup /PrepareDomain

Friday, February 15, 2013 3:53 PM
  • These:

setup /PrepareSchema
    setup /PrepareAD
    setup /PrepareDomain

You don't need to run these switches. The SP3-installation will do it for you if you run the installation with the required permissions.

...and Yes, I highly recommend that you bring your Server up to a supported level.

Martina Miskovic

Friday, February 15, 2013 3:58 PM