Imaging in site with only DP Question/Clarification RRS feed

• Question

• If we have a site that only contains a Distribution Point and in the organization there is one Management Point, how often does a client or DP contact the MP during the OSD process? 

What is happening is we had issues with our MP where it was intermittently unresponsive for a few minutes at a time regularly. We noticed that machines were imaging much slower and many of them would fail at various points throughout the imaging process if they were successful at getting the imaging process to start.

I was always told that once the client connects to the DP via PXE and selects a task sequence, the client then gets policy from the MP and does a check to ensure that all content is on the local DP that is needed and starts to download the WIM if all is well. After this, the client would not check in with MP again until the SCCM client is installed and it heartbeats in or potentially upon a reboot during the process. (I have not verified whether it checks in after a reboot, my gut tells me it does)

A side question, is during this time we also encountered PXE issues where the client could not locate a boot image and would reboot. The DP definitely had the Boot Images as clients were imaging seconds before. Also as stated above, once the imaging started it was significantly slower.

We ended up moving the MP to a new VM host and it resolved all the issues, machines were imaging, and they were doing so much faster.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tony

Thursday, April 3, 2014 3:40 PM

Answers

• DPs never contact MPs; only clients contact MPs. What you have above is accurate from a high level. The smsts.log does explicitly reflect all activity so if you have a specific point in time you are curious about, you can easily verify by checking the log.

There is a post R2 hotfix (that is now included in R2 CU1) that addresses an issue with the OS image downloading very slowly.

As for locating the boot image during PXE, you'll have to check smspxe.log on the PXE enabled DP to help figure out what's going on.

Ultimately, *all* client activity is based on the client contacting the MP. If you have troubles there, nothing will work correctly.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:38 PM

All replies

• DPs never contact MPs; only clients contact MPs. What you have above is accurate from a high level. The smsts.log does explicitly reflect all activity so if you have a specific point in time you are curious about, you can easily verify by checking the log.

There is a post R2 hotfix (that is now included in R2 CU1) that addresses an issue with the OS image downloading very slowly.

As for locating the boot image during PXE, you'll have to check smspxe.log on the PXE enabled DP to help figure out what's going on.

Ultimately, *all* client activity is based on the client contacting the MP. If you have troubles there, nothing will work correctly.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:38 PM
  • I am reviewing an SMSTS.log file from a machine that I imaged the other day. It does not appear to be complete; there are two files, on that just has one line saying "Successfully finalized logs to SMS client log directory from C:\WINDOWS\CCM\Logs" and the other is the rollover log. The Rollover log only looks like it shows log entries for a time frame of about 15 minutes. Am I looking in the right place? I am in the C:\WINDOWS\CCM\Logs folder... Does SCCM discard to smsts.log file at certain points of the process?

I was able to open the smsts.log file while a machine was imaging and I did notice that there are a bunch of the below lines that looks like the client is talking to the MP. If the MP is unresponsive during any of these Send commands, will the Task Sequence fail?

CLibSMSMessageWinHttpTransport::Send: URL: PrimarySiteServer.domainname.com:80  CCM_POST /ccm_system/request TSManager 

Thanks!

Thursday, April 3, 2014 8:21 PM