none
Reboot gets around Bitlocker Recovery Window

Question

• After user Reboots the computer, it boots into the Bitlocker Recovery console. 
    When the computer loads the Bitlocker Recovery Console the user does a Alt-CTR-DEL and reboots the PC. What I don’t understand is after the reboot the computer boots up normal and does not go back into the Bitlocker recovery console.

1. Don’t know why the computer went into Bitlocker Recovery console 
    (I know the user did not boot from anything. I am thinking it could be a MS patch )
    Is there any log that tells you why it booted to the Recovery console?

2. Why if doing a force reboot out of the from the Bitlocker Recovery console did it boot normal.
    FYI, when I have tested this on my test laptop it never boots up normal after a force reboot.

• Edited by ZacheryS Monday, February 01, 2016 2:57 PM Clarified Bitlocker Recovery Console
    Friday, January 29, 2016 5:50 PM

Answers

• Found the answer 

It Turns out there was a tool used by some in the IT Team to find and patch computers.  
    Someone turned on "WOL" Setting in this tool.  

Most of the time this is not an issue but we have bitlocker turned on all of our laptop computers. So Some Laptop users would powerdown and leave the laptop on the network would get a WOL packet and bootup into Bitlocker console. 

this only happen as a cold Boot because it was the only time it was powered off and when the tool ran was at night. And the users would come in the office with the bitlocker message on the screen.

• Marked as answer by ZacheryS Monday, February 01, 2016 8:20 PM
    • Edited by ZacheryS Monday, February 01, 2016 8:22 PM typo
    Monday, February 01, 2016 8:20 PM

All replies

• Hi ZacheryS,

According to your description, you may mean that you couldn’t see this interface below when rebooted PC.

If so, please check whether you configured setting in Startup and Recovery. Go to System->Advanced tab-> Startup and Recovery->Settings. If you uncheck the option of Time to display recovery options when needed like the following picture, you would not see above interface.

In addition, from our experience and search, we can’t find a log record the reason why we need to enter recovery console. If you want to see what happened when Windows boot, you could view event log or use Windows Performance Toolkit. The following website introduces this useful tool.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh162981.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 01, 2016 12:26 PM
  • No that is not the console i am talking about.

Here is what i have seen in a growing number of clients.

1. All Laptops 
    2. All Diff models of HP Laptops.
    3. Only happens from a Cold Boot.
    4. The users boot up and it goes into the Bitlocker console asking for the bitlocker key.
    5. If the user does a hard Reboot, the computer reboots and boots normal into windows.

I am still checking on this but i think all the users have only had this happen when in a dock.

• Edited by ZacheryS Monday, February 01, 2016 6:47 PM Correction
    Monday, February 01, 2016 2:52 PM
  • Found the answer 

It Turns out there was a tool used by some in the IT Team to find and patch computers.  
    Someone turned on "WOL" Setting in this tool.  

Most of the time this is not an issue but we have bitlocker turned on all of our laptop computers. So Some Laptop users would powerdown and leave the laptop on the network would get a WOL packet and bootup into Bitlocker console. 

this only happen as a cold Boot because it was the only time it was powered off and when the tool ran was at night. And the users would come in the office with the bitlocker message on the screen.

• Marked as answer by ZacheryS Monday, February 01, 2016 8:20 PM
    • Edited by ZacheryS Monday, February 01, 2016 8:22 PM typo
    Monday, February 01, 2016 8:20 PM