none
Timesheet Usability Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a lot of usability problems in the 2010 Timesheet, do you have solutions for some?

1. Font (in the My Timesheet view is inconvenient (gray color is to weak and size is to small) - I didn't find a place to change it
    2. On the right pane (the one with a column per day), when you scroll right (towards the end of the week), the lines become narrower so that a line is not in place with it's meta-data in the left pane
    3. I see 3 vertical scroll bars: one for the page, one for the timesheet web-part and one that I can't figure-out. Anyway: that's too much and confusing
    4. The handler that splits between left pane and the right pane doesn't show untill you refresh the page. if you chosse to hide the Quick launch menu it disappears and when you refresh, the quick launch shows again
    5. Sorting on any column doesn't work
    6. When I create a new timesheet view and group it by project - grouping headers don't have colors

If I recall more - I'll add it later.

Thanks,

Barak

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Barak,

Thanks for the feedback.  In the June CU we fixed the issue of sorting columns.  The scroll bar problem may be just related to the size of your window.  I'll take a look at the other issues and see if we have other changes in the pipeline.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:36 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian,

Here are some updates regarding the above:

Items #1 and #4 were solved by upgrading to IE8. IE8 also solved a Hebrew-specific problem: when you zoom in to 125% or more on IE7, Hebrew letters become deformed

Item #5 was indeed solved by installing SP1 + June CU

Item #3 can be solved by adjusting the timesheet web part to have fixed height with a lot of pixels (2000). This need to be considered for the following:

Disadvantage 1: You'll need to scroll down to get to the horizontal scroll bar

Disadvantage 2: Scrolling down will you will not see the column headers, making it difficult to find out on which day you are really reporting

Advantage 1: This method enables full CTRL + F capability on the timesheet (otherwise, if the task is not "seen" by the web part, CTRL + F won't find it).

We decided to implement this solution on My Tasks but not on timesheet, letting the user choose what best suites him.

Item #2 can be avoided by avoiding scrolling right on the right pane of the timesheet. This can be aided by wide screens and/or hiding the quick-launch bar (the later requires IE8 or you'll bump again into item #4) - naturally, that won't be enough if you have monthly periods with daily reporting

No solution for item #6 - we are stuck with the My Timesheet view

Regards,

Barak

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:12 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback Barak.  We do have some further changes coming, probably in the October CU, regarding the group by project feature.  I'm running with the August CU and IE 9 and the Hebrew Language Pack and do not have the issue with missing colors on the grouping header rows.

On your scrolling issues - what is the screen resolution you are having problems with?

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:28 PM
    Owner
  • 1024 X 768

What do you aim for with my "scrolling issues"?

The misfitting lines? Hiding from CTRL + F? The non-sticky headers?

Regards,

Barak

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:23 AM