none
Init a Transaction Subcription from Backup - What if the data was filtered and/or not all tables.? RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• Hi mg101,

Yes, you can’t use this method. Did you want to add an article to existing Transactional Replication without initializing old articles? Please check if below link could help you. If I misunderstood, please let me know. https://medium.com/geopits/adding-a-new-articles-to-a-existing-transactional-replication-without-snapshot-of-entire-articles-3d1af1d9b587

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by mg101 Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:52 AM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:46 AM
  • Thanks Cathy. That confirms my understanding

No, the article will not help.

Thanks,

MG

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:53 AM
  • You actually can use this method. It will work fine.

However your database on the subscriber will be 1.3 Tb and contain all objects and data from the publisher.

So it will work, replication will replicate the data, but you will have an entire copy of the production database on the subscriber. 

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 4:54 PM
  • Hi Hillary,

yes, the restore will work. I know that. But we do not want a full copy of the prod db. We were hoping it would work like the true subscription database by back laundering the data. It does not do that. So, it does not work for what we need.

Thanks

MG.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 5:07 PM
  • Nope, not gonna happen. BUT you could drop all the tables after the restore to reclaim the space. I am not sure if this will be an option for you or not.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 5:15 PM
  • Thanks Hillary.

I agree.  Won't happen. Not an option.

MG

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 5:54 PM