System restore not going back far enough RRS feed

• Question

• I need to do a system restore in order to address a problem, but it only goes back seven days! That's no nearly long enough. I was hoping for about two months. Is there a way to go back that far now, or is it something I'll just have to do in the future and find another way to deal with my issue in the meantime?
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 5:13 AM

All replies

• I'm sorry if I'm asking what may be an obvious question, but did you notice the [  ] Show more restore points box at the lower left?  Does your history go back further if you check that box?

-Noel

• Proposed as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:15 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 3:43 AM
  • Yes, I saw it. Whether I check it or not, my only restore point is 12/20/11. I recall checking it about a week ago, and I had a few more dates available, but none more than a week back.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 1:54 AM
  • There's a setting you can change that the system uses to limit the amount of space used for restore points.  If it was set small you may well not have much history.

There are various tutorials on how to change it...  Google turned up this one:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5482/make-system-restore-use-less-space-in-windows-7/

Note that the above article desribes how to make it smaller, but you can of course make it larger.

-Noel

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:23 AM
  • Thanks, I'll check it out. I assume, though, this would only apply to future restores - not getting my computer back to an earlier point now.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:35 AM
  • Yes (sorry to say).  That's assuming your system has been limiting the depth of its restore history because of size limitations.

What's your drive C: size?  I'm not sure what the default is, but since it is settable in % one might guess a small drive partition would mean that the default amount of space is shallower than on a big drive.

-Noel

Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:12 AM