none
Windows Authentica​tion Unreliable on Nokia Lumia 920 RRS feed

• Question

• I need to access a web page that requires Windows Authentication for access.

It wasn't a problem on my HTC Arrive (Sprint) running Windows Phone 7.5 but I have since switched to a Nokia Lumia 920 (AT&T) running Windows Phone 8.

Now when I go to the site (either via direct URL entry, bookmark or pinned to the start screen) the page fails to load even if I enter the username/password/domain properly.

Sometimes if I hit cancel after a few tries, it works and I can access the content, but this is not predictable enough to serve as a work-around.

Also, it NEVER works if I check the "[ ] Remember my password" checkbox - and that's what I'd really like to do since I'd rather not have to type in the username/password/domain every time I view the resource.

In IIS the authentication methods for the directory have Enable anonymous access intentionally unchecked.

Under the Authenticated access settings, Integrated Windows authentication is checked.

This has been functioning unchanged for years and still works just fine on all other devices - which would seem to point to either an issue with Windows Phone 8's handling of IWA, or more specifically, the support of this feature on Nokia Lumia 920 devices.

How can I fix this?

See also: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpfeatures/windows-authentication-unreliable-on-nokia-lumia/700cf665-9e3c-4e67-87f6-114f165790af

"We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Bleak Morn

From your description, there may be some program prevent you access to your site. you can try to reboot your Windows Phone, then try to visit your site, confirm whether it is can be accessed?

Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:03 AM
  • Hi Bleak Morn

From your description, there may be some program prevent you access to your site. you can try to reboot your Windows Phone, then try to visit your site, confirm whether it is can be accessed?

Yesterday I tried to view it several times and it failed to connect each time (I'll work on collecting some screenshots - I get two different error messages).

This morning, after reading your post, I tried it once more before rebooting and the authentication was successful.

I simply entered username, password, and domain as I had many times before. This fails more often than not, however.

"We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer

Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:22 PM