How to stop my XP computer from shutting down ? RRS feed

• Question

•  I have an XP computer lab in a high school.  The computers keep shutting down while the students are taking their state test (timing out, as if it was going into a power save stage). I have checked the Power settings.  All the settings are listed as "never".   Any suggestions?
    Friday, April 27, 2012 6:50 PM

All replies

• Perform a full antivirus scan of your system.
    Check the Windows "System" log in the Event Viewer: there could be any record related to this strange shutdown.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

If the system turns out to be clean, we can test the computer in Safe Mode and Clean Boot mode to narrow down the cause of the problem.

Regards

Kevin

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 30, 2012 3:27 AM
  • If its for only one system Run a full AV scan and also take a look for any suspicious processes running in the system. If you are in a domain environment try to figure out if there are any group policy settings (Power related ) configured for the student computers.

Thanks and Regards Mohamed

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 9:59 AM
  • If its for only one system Run a full AV scan and also take a look for any suspicious processes running in the system. If you are in a domain environment try to figure out if there are any group policy settings (Power related ) configured for the student computers.

Thanks and Regards Mohamed

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:15 AM