none
DPM 2012 and the real Single Instance Storage RRS feed

• Question

• I've been testing DPM 2012 RC using Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 and have not found a definitive answer to whether DPM 2012 can use SIS on the DPM server or not.  Can it?  It seems like the issue that DPM creates a new partition for every partition added for file protection keeps the SIS service from working.  Is this correct?  Is there a way to use SIS to reduce the DPM 2012 RC storage?

Rob

• Moved by Larry Yin Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:20 PM (From:DPM 2012 Beta - Locked)
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You cannot enable SIS on any of the DPM volumes, however if DPM protects a  Storage server volume that has SIS enabled, then DPM will protected it in a SIS enabled state so the storage savings can be realized.    The only real way to reduce DPM storage pool usage is to use hardware dedupe solution.  See the following forum post for details:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/9f7d50cf-a9f7-4350-80fb-93d7acb459d9

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 2, 2012 3:28 AM
  • Hi,

You cannot enable SIS on any of the DPM volumes, however if DPM protects a  Storage server volume that has SIS enabled, then DPM will protected it in a SIS enabled state so the storage savings can be realized.    The only real way to reduce DPM storage pool usage is to use hardware dedupe solution.  See the following forum post for details:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/9f7d50cf-a9f7-4350-80fb-93d7acb459d9

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Hi Mike,

Will you be able to install DPM 2012 on Windows Storage server like with 2010 and take advantage of SIS?

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:42 AM
  • Hi,

DPM cannot take advantage of SIS per sa, as noted, you cannot enable SIS on any DPM managed volumes.  When you install DPM on any sku of Windows 2008, DPM installs a lite (limited) version of SIS so we can protect SIS enabled volumes. Basically DPM runs this command: start /wait ocsetup.exe SIS-Limited /quiet /norestart during setup.  To answer your question directly, DPM 2012 should be able to be installed on Windows 2008 Storage Server Sku.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:01 PM
  • I can confirm that DPM installs on WSS without issue.  I've tested this configuration.  It is possible to install the SIS package from WSS on Windows Standard but it isn't a supported scenario. 

You can activate the SIS service to reduce duplication within a DPM volumes.  This is not a supported configuration from what I've read.  I tried it and I did get pretty good results (20%-30%) but decided against it since I don't want to have problems with our backup infrastructure when things are in recovery mode!  The real problem is that SIS activation would have to be done manually since DPM creates the volumes dynamically.  Plus, there isn't any way to get SIS to span volumes which is where a lot of duplicate data could be removed.  For example, you could protect two servers (same OS) C: volumes and have SIS reduce all the common files across that file-level protection. 

The same problem will persist into Windows 8.  Windows 8 has chunk-level data deduplication but again, it only acts within a volume and not across volumes.  The fundamental challenge with DPM is that it relies on the VSS at a volume level on the DPM server so I don't see any significant improvements from DPM on this front anytime soon.

Here is more info on the data dedup available in Windows 8 beta: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831454.aspx, http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/datacenter/windows-server-8-data-deduplication-what-you-need-to-know/4887.

I think the only feasible way to do things right now is with hardware deduplication.  I've personally given up on that in the short-term and just plan on buying lots of disks.

Rob

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:28 PM