Cannot Install Net Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2016 Standard RTM error 0x800F081F RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I'm trying to install Net Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2016 Standard, but I'm getting the error 0x800F081F.

I tried the following methods without success:

1. dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /limitaccess /source:<drive>:\sources\sxs
    2. dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all
    3. Enable-WindowsFeature -Name Net-Framework-Core -Source <drive>:\sources\sxs
    4. Directly in server manager configuring the option for altenate source.
    5. Double click on the CAB file "microsoft-windows-netfx3-ondemand-package" inside sources\sxs.

Note: I tried with a lot of official ISO of Windows Server 2016, still not working.

KB2966828, 2966827 not installed.

Finally I noticed that in the media only exists a CAB package that is "microsoft-windows-netfx3-ondemand-package".

I hope you can help me Guys, Thanks.

• Edited by JRLOPS Friday, May 12, 2017 2:53 PM
    Friday, May 12, 2017 2:37 PM

Answers

• Hi, I had the same problem on Windows Server 2016 Essentials and managed to solve it.

I did not have access to my Windows Server 2016 Essentials installation media, but searching Google for "microsoft-windows-netfx3-ondemand-package" led me to a direct link to the .cab file.

Pointing the wizard to the .cab file solved my issue and let me install the Net Framework 3.5 features I needed.

Hoping this helps someone.

• Marked as answer by JRLOPS Friday, July 20, 2018 1:42 AM
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 5:30 PM

All replies

• Is this server using a wsus server? Try setting Windows to get optional features from Microsoft.

To configure Group Policy for Feature on Demand

1. Open the group policy editor. For example, on a computer that is running Windows 8.1, from the start screen, type Edit Group Policy, and then select Edit Group Policy to open the Group Policy Editor.

2. Click Computer Configuration, click Administrative Templates, click System, and then double-click the Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair setting.

3. Select the settings that you want to use for Features on Demand.

The settings to try; Enabled and 'Download repair content and optional features directly from Windows Update instead of Windows Server Update Service (WSUS)'

• Proposed as answer by Tynen Monday, August 20, 2018 4:59 PM
    Saturday, May 13, 2017 11:54 AM
  • Hi,

There should be a cab file "microsoft-windows-netfx3-ondemand-package" at “\sources\sxs”.

Please try to install .Net Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2016 using installation mediam:
    1. Open Server Manager – Dashboard - Add roles and features – Features – select .Net Framework 3.5.
    2. On the Confirmation page click the Specify an alternative source path. Then type the path of Windows server 2016 image, such as “<drive number>:\sources\sxs”.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 15, 2017 7:37 AM
  • Hi Eve Wang, thanks, I tried what you said. Doesn't work.
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:57 PM
  • Hi Mr Happy, The server isn't using wsus server.
    • Edited by JRLOPS Friday, May 19, 2017 12:01 AM
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:58 PM
  • Hi, I had the same problem on Windows Server 2016 Essentials and managed to solve it.

I did not have access to my Windows Server 2016 Essentials installation media, but searching Google for "microsoft-windows-netfx3-ondemand-package" led me to a direct link to the .cab file.

Pointing the wizard to the .cab file solved my issue and let me install the Net Framework 3.5 features I needed.

Hoping this helps someone.

• Marked as answer by JRLOPS Friday, July 20, 2018 1:42 AM
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 5:30 PM
  • This totally worked for me.  We are using WSUS.  Thanks.
    Monday, April 2, 2018 4:10 PM
  • I my case it was installed after I ticked "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows"
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 7:46 PM
  • works like a charm Thanks 

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 6:21 PM
  • Perfect solution when you have no media and are managing server remotely. 
    Sunday, December 2, 2018 4:57 PM
  • I solved my problem enabling bits and windows update services.
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 2:40 PM
  • This solution has really helped. I downloaded the file from this link..https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120760819  and pointed the wizard to the .cab file solved it.
    Friday, March 22, 2019 12:40 AM
  • This worked like a charm. Thanks a ton

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 6:39 AM
  • This worked for me!!! Finally after five hours of trying I've managed to get it to install!
    Thursday, July 11, 2019 10:15 AM