Easiest way to get alerts when server abends / reboots RRS feed

• Question

• I have set up notification subscriptions and recipients within SCE okay.  However, I want to know the preferred / easiest way to monitor if a server is simply UP and if it is not then I want to receive a page / email.  I have seen the examples of creating an alert when particular errors (such as when a comment has been made when rebooting a server) occur in event viewer but that doesn't help me if the server suffers a power outage and suddenly switches off.  Or if an update automatically reboots the machine (as two poor examples).  Can't I use a heartbeat type of monitoring to alert me if it doesn't "hear" back from a server within a set time limit?  I'm sure there are plenty of ways to configure this but what's the take on the best way? 

Thanks

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 6:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is the heartbeat for agent, you can see it in "Administration" space, click setting, choose "heartbeat" under "Type: Agent".

Each agent sends a small “heartbeat” message to its assigned client on a periodic basis. To keep the management server from panicking if a single heartbeat fails, you can configure the number of missing heartbeats that will be allowed before the management server will attempt sending a ping request to the client. The default is to allow three heartbeats to go missing before the ping is sent. So if the agent heartbeat interval is set to 30 seconds and 90 seconds have passed since the last heartbeat was detected, the SCE will send a ping request to the client. By sending a ping request, the management server can determine whether the managed system is still responding on the network. If the server replies to the ping request, the management server will assume there is a problem with the agent on the managed system. If the ping request fails, the SCE server can assume the managed system has failed

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is the heartbeat for agent, you can see it in "Administration" space, click setting, choose "heartbeat" under "Type: Agent".

Each agent sends a small “heartbeat” message to its assigned client on a periodic basis. To keep the management server from panicking if a single heartbeat fails, you can configure the number of missing heartbeats that will be allowed before the management server will attempt sending a ping request to the client. The default is to allow three heartbeats to go missing before the ping is sent. So if the agent heartbeat interval is set to 30 seconds and 90 seconds have passed since the last heartbeat was detected, the SCE will send a ping request to the client. By sending a ping request, the management server can determine whether the managed system is still responding on the network. If the server replies to the ping request, the management server will assume there is a problem with the agent on the managed system. If the ping request fails, the SCE server can assume the managed system has failed

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:14 AM
  • Sorry, but I don't understand your reply.  We have a SQL Server 2000 instance on Windows Server 2003.  Some times when there is a storm the Server will reboot itself.  I would like to set up an alert to let me know.  I don't see an "Administration" space.  I am most likely looking in the wrong area.  Or your answer doesn't answer my issue.  Can you help me?

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:28 PM
  • Hi Icerni,

The "Administration" space is in the SCE console.

If you need to know when the Server is rebooting, you can create a new monitor to monitor some specific Event ID, then every time the server rebooted, you will receive a warning on the SCE server.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Friday, August 15, 2008 11:33 AM
  • Hi... I'm trying to do the same thing in SCE... Were you able to do this and how?

Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:47 PM
  • I created this procedure and have a job set up to run with the schedule type of "Start automatically when SQL Server Agent starts".

CREATE

PROCEDURE [dbo].[usp_dba_server_reboot_test]

AS

-- =============================================================================================

-- Procedure Name: usp_dba_server_reboot_test

-- Description: This USP is used to send an email to the appropriate individuals informing

-- them that the server has rebooted

-- Written by: DBA

-- Created: 08/14/2008

--

-- Last Updated:

-- 20080814 DBA - Original Code

-- ==============================================================================================

BEGIN

DECLARE

@nbr_of_days

INT

SET @nbr_of_days = (SELECT DATEDIFF(DAY, MIN(login_time), GETDATE()) FROM master..sysprocesses)

IF( @nbr_of_days < 1)

BEGIN

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail

@profile_name

= 'Automated Messaging Profile',

@recipients

= 'dba@company.com',

@subject

= 'The Server ??? Was Recently Rebooted',

@body

= 'The Server ??? Was Recently Rebooted'

;