startuprepairv2 continuous reboot no system recovery tools seem to work RRS feed

• Question

• at least in win98 and XP you could boot with no support to windows to make changes

is there a way to do this in vista ?

> Problem event Name: Startup Repair V2
    > Problem Signature 01 : external media
    > Problem Signature 02 : 6.0.60000.16386.6.0.6001.18000

> Problem Signature 03 : 6

> Problem Signature 04 : 589833
    > Problem Signature 05 : no boot failure
    > Problem Signature 06 : no root cause
    > Problem Signature 07 : 0
    > Problem Signature 08 : 2
    > Problem Signature 09 : Wrp Repair
    > Problem Signature 10 : 87
    > Os version : 6.0.60000.2.0.0.256.1
    > Local ID : 1033

issue may have began when running ntune and selected continue on reboot but an update got jumbled in somehow

anything i could try from a command prompt to at least get the system up to save some files b4 a clean install

any help would be greatly appreciated

my kids lifetime of pics are counting on it

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:45 PM

Answers

• Hello,

1. Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

5) Could you login the system in the safe mode? If so, please backup the data to the external drive.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

2. Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore

1) Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2) Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3) Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

4) Click Repair your computer

5) In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6) At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7) Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8) Click Finish to restore the system.

3. Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1) Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2) Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3) Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

5) In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6) At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7) (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8) In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Good Luck!

Monday, September 1, 2008 11:17 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:52 PM
  • can you run msconfig from a command prompt and would it be helpful

with the info you provided my next move would be to try and upgrade install to repair

then recover files and clean install

i could use a link to a downloadable slipstreamed copy of Windows Vista including Service pack 1 en 32bit

my dvd is for pre SP1 ........upgrade dissed

will my product key even work anymore?

your post was very helpful in continueing my expidition

thank you carey

Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:44 AM
  • could someone plz try giving me some more info

Sunday, August 31, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Hello,

1. Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

5) Could you login the system in the safe mode? If so, please backup the data to the external drive.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

2. Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore

6) At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7) Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8) Click Finish to restore the system.

3. Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

6) At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7) (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8) In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Good Luck!

Monday, September 1, 2008 11:17 AM
  • Hi:

I havve this problem. It occur after my computer shutting down because the battery are finished. Then appear black windows "Disk Read Error"occured...   actually it reboot in the same window. I try all of the solutions mentioned above cause no answer. And when I put the DVD of OS vista after try to fix the problem automatically, this error appear(
    startuprepairv2). It mean that the computer can't recognized the hard disk or can't read it. So I would not repair the error with the DVD's, inclusive I can not install windows vista.
    Please I need help of someone.

Thanks
    Friday, October 17, 2008 1:43 AM