none
Is there a way to disable Explorer automatic row scrolling in List view? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Example: You have a folder open with pictures in it. The Explorer window for said window is in List view mode, and at least 2 rows are visible. The file you want to open is in the 2nd row. When you click the file, it automatically scrolls the list so that the file you selected is in the left-most row, rendering any double-click on the 2nd or subsequent rows ineffective. Instead of opening the file, it selects the file, immediately scrolls it's row back, selects the new file that has scrolled into that row in the same position and scrolls it back as well. 

Is it possible to institute a small delay on the automatic scrolling to allow for double-clicking or disable the behavior entirely?

Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't find any relevant info through searching.
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 8:31 AM

All replies

• I already posted about this stupid behaviour since beta, and nothing changed.

Please, if anyone know a way to disable it, I would like to know too.
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 12:07 PM
  • Clearly the Explorer developers cannot think 3 dimensionally (x, y, time).  First and foremost on any feature list for the next Explorer changes should be this:

Review and rework all functionality that could cause Explorer to move something just as you're about to click (or double click) on it.

I'm reminded of that joke app that circulated a decade or two ago where the button(s) would move out from under your mouse.  Except that this is no joke.

-Noel
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 4:57 PM
  • Somewhere on this forum I saw this.

Open Windows Explorer. In the left pane, right click on a empty area and uncheck Expand to current folder.

That works and things stay put, but you lose the ability to scroll up and down using the keyboard and have the current folder expanded in the right pane. You have to press Enter or click on a folder in the left pane for it to be expanded in the right.

You also use the use of shortcuts, like My Documents. When you double click on it, Windows Explorer opens and C: is selected but it doesn't open your Documents folder.

Sunday, October 4, 2009 1:45 AM
  • Hi All,

Thank you for discussing this Windows Explorer issue. I will forward this thread to our internal team as a Customer Experience Feedback.

Thanks.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 2:57 AM
  • Well, Robinson, will you excuse me if I don´t believe you? Sorry but I keep posting about this issue since I started beta testing Windows 7, and it´s almost ONE YEAR ago.

I made a image to show it: http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5135/explorerexample.jpg

I saw other users complaining about this and many other issues with windows explorer since beta.

RC came. Now we have RTM. And nothing was changed.

So, or the developers are not reading feedback at all or they don´t care about fixing what is broken.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 11:32 AM
  • Well, Robinson, will you excuse me if I don´t believe you? Sorry but I keep posting about this issue since I started beta testing Windows 7, and it´s almost ONE YEAR ago.

I made a image to show it: http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5135/explorerexample.jpg

I saw other users complaining about this and many other issues with windows explorer since beta.

RC came. Now we have RTM. And nothing was changed.

So, or the developers are not reading feedback at all or they don´t care about fixing what is broken.

Hi Warel,

Thank you for your query.

Please understand that I am not a product team member. What I can do on the forum is offering latest information/troubleshooting problem/collecting our customer feedback. Microsoft has specific team to gather/handle customer suggestions/feedbacks/wishes, they will make a summary to product related teams. There should be a delay before product team reviewing it. I check forum threads and collect good suggestions/feedbacks to this team. 

What I am doing is let more and more vioces of customer on the fourm can be heard to Microsoft. The customers such like you is making Microsoft Products better and better.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:49 AM
  • Is there any progress on this issue?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Is there any progress on this issue?
    +1
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:26 AM
  • It doesn't just apply in this instance either (navigation pane).

I'm for disabling every instance of ANY automatic scrolling or moving of windows. Which there is one small exception, with focus on hover if you have certain prompt windows (save as) floating between two screens, the window will pop into the window where the mouse pointer is. Though still as intrusive as other instances of automatic moving and scrolling, in this instance it is useful.
    exploring wmplayer 12 secure internet sharing
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:28 PM
  • Hi All,

Thank you for discussing this Windows Explorer issue. I will forward this thread to our internal team as a Customer Experience Feedback.

Thanks.

Any news?
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:45 PM
  • To the person (lzim) requesting disabling of all automatic scrolling...  Beware:  If you are dragging a file into another folder not shown in the current view (say, it's below what's shown in the window), dragging it to the bottom and having the window scroll up so that you can see the destination folder is essential.

Be careful what you wish for.  Essential functionality could be lost.

-Noel
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:37 PM
  • I HATE THIS DAMN ISSUE - FIX IT!!!!!
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 3:36 PM
  • This is indeed very annoying. Makes double-clicking on folders on the right-hand side of a list view impossible. Please fix it.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:12 PM
  • Please, please fix this. This is an infuriating bug. How on earth did this get past beta testing?
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:41 PM
  • +2 - stupid feature
    Friday, February 5, 2010 7:14 PM
  • To the person (lzim) requesting disabling of all automatic scrolling...  Beware:  If you are dragging a file into another folder not shown in the current view (say, it's below what's shown in the window), dragging it to the bottom and having the window scroll up so that you can see the destination folder is essential.

Be careful what you wish for.  Essential functionality could be lost.

-Noel

That's the part where there should be exceptions, but where should those lines be drawn?

Effectively, it shouldn't do anything that isn't expected. The irritation comes when you have to stop and think about what windows is going to do for you, versus what you need it to do. Scrolling away from something you need to click, or more maddeningly scrolling folder lists to show the selected item as the last item, when you're scrolling down a list and had that item in the middle of the list so as to not have to continue scrolling down is annoying.

I'm going to make a very stupid comparison here, but to simplify things the selected thing is always in the middle. That behavior is far less annoying that pushing everything to bottom, or moving over a page for no reason.
    exploring wmplayer 12 secure internet sharing
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:28 PM
  • I HATE THIS DAMN ISSUE - FIX IT!!!!!

agreed. this is annoying as ____
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:11 AM

• So, or the developers are not reading feedback at all or they don´t care about fixing what is broken.

I have been in several Tech Previews and betas from MS during the last year and that is exactly my conclusion as well.

Regards Picsoe
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:32 AM
  • Any fix to this issue? It is extremely annoying. Who the ____ put together the Win 7 file explorer?
    Friday, November 12, 2010 2:56 PM
  • Does anyone at least know of any third party programs that fix this?

This is seriously annoying me.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:52 AM
  • I'm not sure if this is the best solution.

The steps I took to stop this behavior...

Right click on an empty area.

In the Sort By list click on More...

At the bottom of that window is an option to set the column width. "Width of selected column (in pixels):"

Set this to 0 (zero)

Click "OK"

That stopped the rows from automatically shifting for me.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 9:47 PM
  • @Lance - This value isn't accepted. Minimum is 80 pixels.

Furthermore, the fix doesn't appear to resolve the scrolling issue.

I don't think XP displays this behaviour, but I'm not sure what exactly has changed with WIN7.

Just to be clear, this occurs with long file names in a folder configured to list view.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:40 AM
  • Both the automatic horizontal scroll and the vertical should be eliminated. Or at least let us turn it off/on.

It is extremely annoying and the only thing that has made my Win7 frustrating, otherwise, grear OS.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:19 PM
  • On another forum that talks about this exact same issue someone mentioned Classic Schell

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

This doesn't replace explorer but adds a layer on top.  I installed it and was able to configure things so the problems noted in this forum were no longer an issue.  It also had some additional benefits like letting me have the little triangles stay visible even when the mouse moves away and it adds a horizontal scroll bar on the left pane.

The issues noted here and in other postings are really small and minor but these small/minor items have a huge effect on the users experience and I don't think MS fully realizes this.

On another forum there were over 1200 replies to a single posting related to these issues.  The only response from MS was 'Its a feature, not a bug'.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Example: You have a folder open with pictures in it. The Explorer window for said window is in List view mode, and at least 2 rows are visible. The file you want to open is in the 2nd row. When you click the file, it automatically scrolls the list so that the file you selected is in the left-most row, rendering any double-click on the 2nd or subsequent rows ineffective. Instead of opening the file, it selects the file, immediately scrolls it's row back, selects the new file that has scrolled into that row in the same position and scrolls it back as well. 
    Is it possible to institute a small delay on the automatic scrolling to allow for double-clicking or disable the behavior entirely?
    Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't find any relevant info through searching.

Well, I see I'm not the only one annoyed by this. It drives me insane when I'm trying to organize large groups of folders and files. I have a 23" monitor and don't need auto shifting columns. Every time I try to click something in the 2nd or rd column on my screen it does as you describe.. scrolls the damn column over to the left and selects the wrong F(*^(^* thing!  So now I have to click a folder... wait... then go back and double click it again.

I love win7 over XP and Vista, but this "feature" is a waste of time and productivity not to mention frustratingly useless. I'd someone from MS to just explain why this so-called feature is there and how it is useful to them. Between this and the new network settings control panels (why is everything buried so damn deep in extra clicks and roundabout menus???) I could scream.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:22 AM

• I'm not sure if this is the best solution.

The steps I took to stop this behavior...

Right click on an empty area.

In the Sort By list click on More...

At the bottom of that window is an option to set the column width. "Width of selected column (in pixels):"

Set this to 0 (zero)

Click "OK"

That stopped the rows from automatically shifting for me.

I tried this suggestion, but was unable to change the column width.  The column width was set to 200 pixels.  I got no error message or warning when I reset it to zero, but when I rechecked the setting, it had been changed back to 200 pixels.

One shouldn't have to chase one's desired filename across the screen!

m3
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 4:41 AM
  • I can't believe this problem still exists.  Don't the people that make windows, use windows?  Haven't they experienced this problem for themselves?  Fix it, for the love of the User!
    Friday, July 29, 2011 5:18 PM
  • I just found it weird, that i had to chase my folders all the time. No wonder why at work (big multinational...) I we are still on XP :)  Anyway for MS htere's a youtube video showing exactly what happens... just look for "Windows Explorer Bug"
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 11:28 AM
  • I can't believe this problem still exists.  Don't the people that make windows, use windows?

Honestly, I suspect most of them use Details view, where this is a non-problem.

-Noel

Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:10 PM
  • I can't believe this problem still exists.  Don't the people that make windows, use windows?

Honestly, I suspect most of them use Details view, where this is a non-problem.

-Noel

I've just spent the last hour looking for a resolution to this VERY HIGHLY FRUSTRATING bulls&^$t... Cant even get ClassicShell to fix it for me... ANYONE found a resolution?  IT'S DRIVING ME UP THE WALL!  

Also the windows XP way of listing files alphabetically in groups, as in all files or folders starting with A under A... nice groups, what happened to them, my mp3 collection is now a nightmare to navigate!!

I can't beliee over 7000 views of this page and NO ANSWERS... this is the problem with companies that get so big they don't *need*, nor care about the few of us who actually use(d) our pc's the way *they* created the evolution...    Here, here's how you can do it, now - you can't, but thanks for the purchase!

Friday, September 9, 2011 8:06 AM
  • - just stunning 

Thank you.  It's nice to hear a compliment from you.

-Noel

Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:12 PM
  • You oaf.  He's dead.

Gee, do you think he might have died from... health issues, perhaps? :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

-Noel

Sunday, October 23, 2011 12:54 AM
  • On another forum that talks about this exact same issue someone mentioned Classic Schell

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

This doesn't replace explorer but adds a layer on top.  I installed it and was able to configure things so the problems noted in this forum were no longer an issue.  It also had some additional benefits like letting me have the little triangles stay visible even when the mouse moves away and it adds a horizontal scroll bar on the left pane.

The issues noted here and in other postings are really small and minor but these small/minor items have a huge effect on the users experience and I don't think MS fully realizes this.

On another forum there were over 1200 replies to a single posting related to these issues.  The only response from MS was 'Its a feature, not a bug'.

Wow, as an open source project, it has been 'Recommended By 658 users' in the past year!

Maybe Microsoft should consider giving a classic choice by itself.

Sunday, October 23, 2011 3:45 PM
  • ClassicShell is good stuff.

And it seems to work pretty well with Explorer in Windows 8 too.

-Noel

Sunday, October 23, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Noel, you have a solid record of helpful and informative posts around here, and you appear to have extensive experience with all things software. In your humble and professional opinion, do you think Microsoft has abandoned Win 7 users in favor of chasing the new touchy-feely Win 8 mobile-phone-wannabe platform?
    Friday, October 28, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Thanks.  I have posted my thoughts about this a number of times already on the Windows 8 portion of this forums site.

That's a fair question.  I have certainly gotten the feeling that Microsoft is moving Windows away from being a serious computer operating system.  Perhaps they hope they can make more than enough money selling games and whatnot into Windows 8-equipped portable devices through their own app store.  We all dream of selling an app for $1 to a million users.  They dream of skimming a few cents off sales to a billion users.

That Windows 8 is becoming less powerful is a conclusion that's hard not to draw, given what we've seen in the Windows 8 Developer Preview, and in the blog posts by various Microsoft people.  It really boils down to whether we believe a powerful desktop system can truly be integrated with the simplistic one-app-per-screen Metro interface, which is clearly designed with single monitor portable systems in mind.  It's not clear how the two will ever work well together, or whether they even can.

Part of me refuses to believe that Microsoft are willing to completely turn their backs on continuing to develop Windows as a serious OS simply because they have to develop future versions of Windows on some platform.  However, there's the possibility that the decision makers feel they'll be wealthy and retired by the time that becomes a problem, and so it will be someone else's problem.

Another part of me KNOWS that even if Windows 8 releases without a way for serious desktop users to stay completely on the desktop, that there WILL be open source and other projects by 3rd party developers that will turn it back into something more useful (e.g., perhaps an evolution of ClassicShell).  But the folks who choose to move out of the mainstream and use such tools to keep Windows 8 more "Windows 7-like" will no doubt suffer some problems, simply because Microsoft isn't looking in that direction.  Others might continue to just run Windows 7, but that can only last so long.

The future of computing as we know it is cloudy at best.

-Noel

Friday, October 28, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Too bad, this bug isn't fixed in Windows 8 either and Classic Shell can't fix it either. Just as you are about to double click, the column moves to the left, extremely annoying. Just like the auto sort/refresh bug which is "by design". The moment you copy-paste, download, or rename any files, they will sort themselves jumping around scattered to obey the sort order. I swear I would fire the guy who approved of auto sort/refresh in Explorer if I could find him.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:40 AM
  • I can't believe this problem still hasn't been fixed. Driving me nuts already. I try to double click and it shifts TWO screens to the right because on the second click I click on another file that isn't fully visible. F*ck this *stressed*
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:13 PM
  • I have been following this thread for 2 years.  still there is no way to completely de-activate scroll-over effects so that a single or double click is required before any action occurs?  (i.e. revert to XP features.)

Like almost all people on this thread and on the several other threads on this problem, frustration is reaching a critical point.  MS stands to lose most of their business.  I am actively looking at new OS and any ideas are welcome.  

Like you, it's hard for me to believe that MS would abandon OS.  But, it's not hard to believe that MS customers would abandon MS.  

When I spend hours just recovering from Win 7 unintended drag and drops, it's easy to spend an hour looking for a new OS and time well spent.

As noted in this thread, the problem does not exist in XP.  But drivers, etc for some new laptops don't exist for XP.

Any recommendations for good alternative open source OS?  I will move to MAC if necessary because of this time wasting, reverse productivity problem which MS calls a feature.  It might be a feature enabler on a touchscreen smart phone, but it's a business killer on laptops and desktops.   MS must fix it or MS is doomed.

Friday, December 23, 2011 9:46 PM
  • *poke* @ Microsoft
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:14 AM
  • They fixed the infamous navigation pane scrolling bug but 500+ Up votes on Connect for Windows 8. Maybe they will fix this for Windows 10 if it gathers as many votes by then. If not, then will say "This behavior is by design".
    • Edited by xpclient Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:54 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Hope sometime will be fixed, total annoying, along with other animations that WIN7 has. I miss XP's simple functionality and lovely stable list view. 
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:33 AM
  • They are not going to fix this bug for another hundred years. They were going to remove List View in Windows Vista betas, do you know that? They have removed List View entirely but it was brought back due to massive outrage. They only want people to use Details view.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:20 AM
  • They are not going to fix this bug for another hundred years. They were going to remove List View in Windows Vista betas, do you know that? They have removed List View entirely but it was brought back due to massive outrage. They only want people to use Details view.

How the hell they expect us to use Details View on a 1080p monitor? that is just a waste of screen!

PLEASE Microsoft allow us to disable this automatic row scrolling, it is ridiculous and annoying to fight against explorer.

Even a simple registry key option could make us happy...

Also everybody who want this fixed, show your support: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/27314d0a-9c70-4b79-93e7-23fe60e7e374
    • Edited by CoudVG Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:01 AM
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 8:42 AM
  • Someone here mentioned unchecking the expand to folder box, but I was unable to find it the way he described.  I am running Windows 7, and I went to windows explorer, clicked on 'Organize' from toolbar on the top right, opened 'Folder and Search Options' and under the "General' tab, I CHEDKED the "Expand To Folder' box.  Now when I click on a file older, it only expands that folder and doesn't scroll down somewhere in oblivion that I didn't want to go and loose what I was searching.  Hope this helps.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:22 PM
  • Not a solution, but at least a Band-Aid - Making sure that no files/folders are currently highlighted, hold the Enter key and left-click once on the file/folder you want opened.  This bypasses the automatic scrolling.
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Like many others I have this issue.  Having been a user of QTTabBar (http://qttabbar.sourceforge.net/) for a few years, I stumbled across an option on it's Misc page that is "Use old ListView control (Win7)".  Selecting this, then restarting all explorers fixes this issue.  However, it does introduce a slightly annoying quirk into the bargain, but not half as annoying as what is described here.

Would be good to hear if anyone else tries this to see what they think...

Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:29 PM
  • I found a way to disable it. If anybody's still looking...

On the classic shell FAQ page the question is asked "Can Classic Shell disable the "Auto-arrange" feature in Explorer?"

The answer given is: "No. The Explorer in Windows 7 uses a new undocumented control "DirectUIHWND" instead of the documented "SysListView32" control like all the versions before it. The DirectUIHWND control has no public interface and nothing can be done to customize it.
    However there is a registry hack you can do to make Explorer to use SysListView32: Auto-arrange - solved?. With that you get the option to disable "Auto-arrange", remove the full-row select and some other features also revert to the Vista way."

After following a couple links you find these instructions:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-full-row-select-explorer-windows-7/

I just did it. Works as a solution for the auto scroll problem.

• Edited by sconlan Friday, March 22, 2013 9:23 AM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 8:52 AM
  • Thanks sconlan, you saved my day!
    Sunday, November 24, 2013 2:16 AM
  • Oh wauw. This behaviour has been annoying me for years. This is the solution!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

sconlan, you're the man!
    Sunday, February 5, 2017 11:49 AM
  • Interesting, thank you!
    Friday, April 7, 2017 9:54 PM
  • Wow, this worked after 5+ years of annoyance. Microsoft, up your ass.
    Friday, October 5, 2018 7:10 AM
  • It's 2019, ten years later.  I cannot select anything in the quick access toolbar because it scrolls to the bottom no matter what I do.  I unchecked and rechecked all options at the bottom of the quick access toolbar and nothing has stopped this very annoying problem.  When I got this computer, it didn't used to do this, but it does now.
    Tuesday, July 2, 2019 11:05 AM