Single MDT Database and two Deployment shares RRS feed

• Question

• I have two unique Deployment shares as I have separated my Deployment shares by OS, as such I have a Windows 7 DS, and a Windows 8.1 DS. The reason behind this is shear size for the number of models I have to support, it would bloat the image over the 15GB mark it sits today.

That all being said what I am attempting to do is utilize a single database as it all houses the proper site information (all 500+ locations), however the issue I am running into is with the fact that if I have an Application bundle in my Windows 7 DS with dependencies, and I go add the Bundle for the machine to the database in my Windows 8 DS then it overwrites the database information completely and I lose the capability to install the app bundle in my Win7 deployment.

I do understand that if I had both OS within a single DS and had multiple TS for the OS deployment and all the bundles created by OS version and utilized the logic to only install on specific OS version I could get this to work rather easily but as stated above I support over 40 Models of PC in my windows 7 image and cannot add to its size as it is already a hassle to distribute.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 3:31 PM

Answers

• I'm not totally sure what you mean by the word "completely" in the following:

I go add the Bundle for the machine to the database in my Windows 8 DS then it overwrites the database information completely and I lose the capability to install the app bundle in my Win7 deployment.

Specifically which entries are we talking about? Applications001?

Most likely the Application GUID in the control\Applications.xml file is different between your Windows 7 DS and the Windows 8 DS for your bundle. I would recommend copying your common bundle from your Windows 7 DS share to your Windows 8 DS share in the MDT console. *THEN* you can modify the copied bundle to include your new packages.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Tuesday, November 25, 2014 5:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Snyder jr Thursday, December 4, 2014 8:09 PM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 5:02 PM

All replies

• I'm not totally sure what you mean by the word "completely" in the following:

I go add the Bundle for the machine to the database in my Windows 8 DS then it overwrites the database information completely and I lose the capability to install the app bundle in my Win7 deployment.

Specifically which entries are we talking about? Applications001?

Most likely the Application GUID in the control\Applications.xml file is different between your Windows 7 DS and the Windows 8 DS for your bundle. I would recommend copying your common bundle from your Windows 7 DS share to your Windows 8 DS share in the MDT console. *THEN* you can modify the copied bundle to include your new packages.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Tuesday, November 25, 2014 5:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Snyder jr Thursday, December 4, 2014 8:09 PM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 5:02 PM
  • Keith,

The "Completely" meant that due to the mismatched GUIDs it was overwriting the database entry for the working Deployment share when I added the new Bundle . I have since copied the Bundles from one Deployment share to the other and that seems to have resolved most of my issues, However I am still seeing in the Applications.xml file that it pulls the applications from the Windows 7 side for Bundles if I do not have an application in that same Bundle for the Windows 8 side. This would attempt to install even if the app was set only for the Windows 7 side as a SupportedPlatform, as it was added to the Applications.xml file and would always error out because it was unable to find the application for that GUID.

Basically I have a Bundle for all Laptops and on the Windows 7 side I have a few apps that get installed and we are not that far into Windows 8 to needs these same apps yet which is why it was empty on the Windows 8 side.

So your suggestion is indeed the solution but also wanted to make people aware that there cannot be an empty Bundle on one of the Deployment Shares if there are Apps in that Bundle on the other Deployment share.

Thursday, December 4, 2014 8:09 PM