none
RDS 2012 R2 Collection Strangeness

Question

• I have an existing RDS Collection, consisting of 3 Servers.  S01 is RDS connection broker, gateway and a session host.  S02 and 03 are session hosts.  S04 is also going to be a session host, but when I add it S01 flies up the error unable to configure the rd session host server.  I have removed all local gpo settings, and placed them on the OU where all 4 Servers reside. Licensing is on a server on another site we will call STS, and is a stand alone deployment.  

Scouring the net I have seen GPO can cause issues on rds servers so I moved S01 and S04 to the Default computer's OU and run gpupdate force with gpresult -r until I confirmed all RDS policies are removed to no avail.  The other two session hosts are healthy and functioning, I have UPD Enabled on the collection Running from a file server, though I am not sure if that is important to this.  

When I use add session host S04 Successfully joins, but S01 displays the error mentioned above.  S04 is also able to accept connections, but UPD does not mount for users logged in.  Any help is greatly appreciated 

Monday, June 13, 2016 12:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Did you add the RDSH with Quick Deploy?

If yes, I suggest you add it with standard mode.

Scouring the net I have seen GPO can cause issues on rds servers so I moved S01 and S04 to the Default computer's OU and run gpupdate force with gpresult -r until I confirmed all RDS policies are removed to no avail.  The other two session hosts are healthy and functioning, I have UPD Enabled on the collection Running from a file server, though I am not sure if that is important to this.  

>>>Have you added S01 and S04 to default computer’s OU?

So I suggest you check if the default group policy have configured one of these setting below.

1. Require user authentication for remote connections by using Network Level Authentication
    2. Set client connection encryption level
    3. Use the specified Remote Desktop license servers

To work around this issue, apply the Group Policy settings that are mentioned in the Symptoms section after you create the Session Collection.

For more information, you could refer to the article below.

You cannot create a session collection and an error occurs in Windows Server 2012

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3014614

Here is a similar thread below for your reference.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a6ed7ddc-efab-47ff-9d6a-04f6fb0a79be/windows-2012-remote-desktop-services-create-session-error-unable-to-configure-rd-session-host?forum=winserverTS

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 1:43 PM