none
Opening multiple projects on different screens RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Project 2010 and running 2 screens. Is there a way to open multiple projects on 2 different screens? Project 'A' on screen 'A' and Project 'B' on screen 'B'. I know about the compare projects command for 2 of the same\simalar projects and use the command often but I want 2 different projects opened in front of me..

Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can only have one copy of Project 2010 open at a time but you can arrange all open files side by side. So unless you can drage your Proejct Window to cover both screens you're out of luck I'm afraid.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

• Marked as answer by G.Edmunds Monday, February 11, 2013 6:58 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:50 PM
  • You can open only in a single instance of MS Project 2010, unlike Excel, for example, where you can open multiple spreadsheets across multiple Excel instances.

Once you have opened MS Project 2010, you can open multiple projects. You will only be able to see 1 Project on your screen(s) if MS Project is Maximized. If you Minimize MS Project, you can then see each open project on you screen. If you have a 2nd screen, grab the edge of MS Project and extend it across the 2nd screen. You can then grab one project and move it to the 2nd screen, leaving the other project(s) on the 1st screen. You can then resize each project to fit your screens as needed.

If you maximize MS Project in this case, it will maximize only the current screen across both monitors. Minimize MS Project and it reverts back to the previous split across both monitors. 

I hope that helps!

David

Saturday, July 27, 2013 2:24 PM
  • A Word of warning when using MSP accross multiple screens, make sure you close MSP before changing your screen setup. It is quite posible to go from two screens to one and leave MSP open on the other (now non-existent) screen. Closing and re-opening doesnt help, nor does re-booting the machine. The only way to get it back is to re-attach a second screen. Simlarly if you have the second screen on the right, then go to one screen, then attach a second screen on the left, MSP will still be stranded on the phantom right side one.

GG

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 1:54 PM
  • Thanks David

I was about to ask the self-same question regarding opening two instances of MSProject to enable two projects to be viewed at once.

Seems like a pretty major oversight on the part of MS to not enable this function given that it works within the other MSOffice suite of programmes. I regularly have two instances of Excel or Word open and being able to do so with Project would make my life far easier. Heck - I can even do it with Outlook if I should ever want or need to!!

Thanks for the workaround tip - I just have to remember the warning from GG below!

Get your act together MS and allow the programme to work in similar fashion to Office (F4 repeat last command would be helpful too!) - consistency is what Office is about, is it not...........?

Peter

Friday, October 28, 2016 2:41 PM