Windows SteadyState: Unable to edit user profile after logoff and login RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could offer a suggestion in regards to a continual problem I am running into.  I will try to detail as much as possible below.

I have a Windows XP system running with Windows SteadyState and 3 User profiles (Manager; User; and Support).

The problem I am running into is this.  This problem occurs quite frequently and I am not sure how to work around it other than to reboot.

When the system is logged on as the Manager User (This profile is locked down pretty tightly, but is a member of Admin group), and this user is logged off.  When I log in as the Administrator of the machine and try to edit the SteadyState profile of the Manager user the application does not allow me.  It return some type of error message detailing the the profile is locked.

It appears that when I log off the Manager user using windows log off, the system is not successfully or completely logging off the user.  This problem does not occur everytime, but does occur frequently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:54 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Joe, could you give me the detail error message when trying to edit the manager user? Based on different error we have different solutions. If the error message was "This user cannot be edited because the profile is currently in use, Ensure that this user is properly logged off and try again", we can try the following method to resolve it:

Install the following tool will fix this issue.

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

UPHClean monitors the computer while Windows is unloading user profiles and forces resources that are open to close. Therefore, the computer can unload and reconcile user profiles.

Hope this helps!

Thursday, June 26, 2008 9:03 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Joe, could you give me the detail error message when trying to edit the manager user? Based on different error we have different solutions. If the error message was "This user cannot be edited because the profile is currently in use, Ensure that this user is properly logged off and try again", we can try the following method to resolve it:

Install the following tool will fix this issue.

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

UPHClean monitors the computer while Windows is unloading user profiles and forces resources that are open to close. Therefore, the computer can unload and reconcile user profiles.

Hope this helps!

Thursday, June 26, 2008 9:03 AM
  • Sean,

Thanks for your prompt response. The error message I was receiving was exactly the same on you listed.  I have gone ahead and downloaded the UPHClean utility your suggested.  This seems to have corrected the problem.  I will have to monitor it to make sure it resolves this in all of my systems running Windows SteadyState.

Thx,

Joe

Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:13 PM
  • What about when this is occuring in vista and uphclean is not available?
    Monday, October 6, 2008 7:20 PM
  • Hi,

I posted instructions for using "handle.exe" to (hopefully!) identify the program that's holding the user's hive open in this thread.  Try that and see if it shows anything useful.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 3:13 AM
  • Handle is not listed as vista compatible on the handle website.  Also, this occurs even after a cold boot without the user ever being logged in..  I have 5 other machines that are, short of ghosted, identical in setup and are not having this problem.  I can sign in as the internet user fine it just won't let me edit them using steadystate tool no matter what I try.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 1:35 PM
  •  

No ideas?  Desperate here..
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 12:59 PM