none
After moving protected server from DPM 1 server to DPM 2, I am unable to include it in DPM 2 Protection Groups RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to move a number of protected servers from one DPM server to another (DPM 1 to DPM 2).  I have followed the steps successfully outlined in the following websites:

http://everydaynerd.com/general/move-protected-server-agent-to-another-dpm-server

http://www.buchatech.com/2011/02/move-a-protected-server-from-one-dpm-to-another-dpm/

This all goes swimmingly, however I am unable to select the server when modifying the protection group on DPM 2.  It appears, but no check boxes are available in the same way you see when you try to protect some data that is already in another PG.

I have also run the Remove-ProductionServer.ps1 script successfully on DPM 1 with the correct parameters, deleted any Inactive protection data on it as well, rebooted both servers, but I still cannot select any data for the PS on DPM 2.

Can anyone help shed any light on what I may be doing wrong and what I should do to resolve this?

Thanks

Chris

Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:53 PM

Answers

• Ok, that explains it. Once a DPM server has secondarily protected a datasource it cannot protect it as primary. You will need to open up a support incident and PSS can help you with a script that will allow the DPM server to protect the datasources as primary.

Thanks,

Marc 

• Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Monday, October 10, 2011 12:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by chris624 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:14 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Was DPM 2 previously doing secondary protection of DPM 1 and the server datasources which you are attempting to move?

Thanks,

Marc

Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:12 PM
  • Yes... I have chained the 2 DPM servers so they are backing eachother up.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Ok, that explains it. Once a DPM server has secondarily protected a datasource it cannot protect it as primary. You will need to open up a support incident and PSS can help you with a script that will allow the DPM server to protect the datasources as primary.

Thanks,

Marc 

• Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Monday, October 10, 2011 12:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by chris624 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:14 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Thanks Marc,

This did the trick - I had to raise a call with Microsoft who gave me a SQL script which has resolved the issue.

Cheers.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Glad to hear you got it working Chris!
    Friday, October 14, 2011 12:41 PM