My Window 7's MS Fax and Scan cannot detect my scanner. RRS feed

• Question

• My Window 7's  MS  Fax and Scan cannot detect my scanner.
    The scanner is properly identified by the device manager and works with other imaging softwares

I am running 64b Windows 7 and the scanner is Canon 8400F. The driver is a Twain driver
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In Windows 7, there are three applications that can do scan: Windows Scan and Fax, Windows paint, Windows live  photo gallery. Which application failed?

I would like to confirm that when you say it works with other imaging softwares, do you mean all the images can be viewed by Windows Picture and Fax viewer? Or it can scan the pictures via imaging software? Is there any error message?

At this point, I suggest install the latest driver for Windows 7 64 bit to check the result.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:16 AM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In Windows 7, there are three applications that can do scan: Windows Scan and Fax, Windows paint, Windows live  photo gallery. Which application failed?

I would like to confirm that when you say it works with other imaging softwares, do you mean all the images can be viewed by Windows Picture and Fax viewer? Or it can scan the pictures via imaging software? Is there any error message?

At this point, I suggest install the latest driver for Windows 7 64 bit to check the result.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:16 AM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 8:13 AM
  • I can confirm that the canonscan 8400F does not appear to work with MS Windows7 bundled imaging software.

In my case, I have Windows 7 Professional (32 bit). The driver, as recommended by Microsoft and Canon is version 10.2.2.0. The scanner works flawlessly in Irfanview. In Irfanview shift-ctrl-A calls up the Scangear CS software, all functions appear fine.

However, in MS Paint, the 'From Scanner or Camera' menu item is greyed out. In MS Fax and Scan, when you click on the 'scan' button, you get an error saying that no scanners were detected. In Live Photo gallery, when you click 'import for canner or camera, the list of devices is blank.

The buttons on the front of the scanner don't do anything.

More info:

I downloaded 8400F Scanner Driver Ver. 10.2.2.0a_xp.

The scanner shows up in Devices and printers. It just shows up as 'canonscan' though, no model number, but it does have a picture of a scanner. If I right-click and go to properties, I get

Manufacturer : Unavailable
    Model: Canoscan
    Model Number: unavailable
    Categories: scanner
    Description: unavailable

Which is a bit worrying. However, in the hardware tab on that window, the driver is shown in the 'device functions' window, with the correct model and make. Double-clicking on that, and then clicking on the 'driver tab' gives me the correct driver number, or at least the driver version number that I installed.

I look forward to the windows update that fixes scanner functionality in Windows 7 bundled imaging software. In the meantime, the best bet for a free way to make this scanner work is Irfanview.

Conflict of interest declaration:

I have no connection with the author of Irfanview other than the fact that I use the software and like it very much. While it's free to download, users may choose to donate to the author. This ensures the continuing development of the software.

Phill Jones, PhD

Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging

Harvard Medical School

Sunday, April 25, 2010 2:54 PM
  • I'm going to reply to my own message just so that anybody else with the same problem will know why it won't work.

The MS bundled software only works with MS proprietary scanner format WIA, and not with the industry standard TWAIN format. So, there are loads of scanners that will never work properly with Windows 7.

Looks like the same under-support hatchet job that they did on Postscript.

Nice going Bill, I see that you're up to your old tricks again.

• Proposed as answer by PhillJones Sunday, April 25, 2010 4:13 PM
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 4:11 PM
  • http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Canon%20CanoScan%208400F%20USB%20Scanner&v=Canon&uid=9554A006&pf=0&pi=0&s=canonscan%208400F&os=32-bit

If you follow this, you'll get to:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=351&modelid=10242

The information there appears to have been written by someone who is not a native English speaker, but if I understand it correctly, there are some problems with the installer. However, WIA drivers seem to be available for the scanner. (All of the WIA drivers I've seen are primitive compared to the TWAIN drivers, but if you must use them...) I don't know whether the WIA drivers are like most other drivers, which is to say written by the hardware manufacturer rather than MS.

I presume that you're joking. but Gates retired from MS in 2008. Do you think he'd be strong arming manufacturers to produce Win7 drivers if he was still at the helm? (Didn't happen for XP or Vista.)

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:42 AM