"No audio output device installed" RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed windows vista on my personal home computer,  everything works fine but i don't have any sound.

When i put my mouse on the sound icon i get the following message:  No Audio Device is installed.  I have tried updating the driver but it says there is no known driver.   

Could someone please help me with this issue?

Thanx,

Chris
    Monday, December 3, 2007 7:19 AM

Answers

• Hello Chris,

Thanks for your post!

According to your description, the problem may be caused by incorrect installation or incompatibility of audio card driver.

Please use the steps below for troubleshooting:

1.    Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.    Expand the Sound, video and game controllers category. If a sound card is listed, you have one installed. If no sound card is listed, You will need to install one. See Install or remove a sound card.

Note: If you think you have a sound card installed but you don’t see it under the Sound, video and game controllers category, expand the Other devices category and check any devices listed there.

3.    If there is a yellow question mark next to the name of the sound card, there might be a problem. Right-click the name of the sound card, and then click Properties.

4.    Click the General tab, and then look in the Device status box to identify problems with the sound card.

Generally, most of sound issues can be fixed by update or reinstall sound card driver. Continue with the step above, please switch to Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.

If it fails to find any driver for your sound card, please check whether the sound driver is compatible with Windows Vista. Besides, please visit the manufacturer’s website to download and reinstall the latest driver of the audio card designed for Windows Vista.

To check the compatibility information about the sound card, please refer to:

Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)

http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

If you have anything unclear about the steps above, please let me know the model of the sound card. I will help you to check whether the device is compatible with Windows Vista.

If the problem still persists after reinstalling proper driver, please recheck the device status as Step 4 and tell me the result. 

For more information about troubleshooting common sound problem in Windows Vista, please refer to:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/1e87a3e8-c0e8-49af-980f-9eb6686f42d21033.mspx

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 11:07 AM

All replies

• Hello Chris,

Thanks for your post!

According to your description, the problem may be caused by incorrect installation or incompatibility of audio card driver.

Please use the steps below for troubleshooting:

1.    Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.    Expand the Sound, video and game controllers category. If a sound card is listed, you have one installed. If no sound card is listed, You will need to install one. See Install or remove a sound card.

Note: If you think you have a sound card installed but you don’t see it under the Sound, video and game controllers category, expand the Other devices category and check any devices listed there.

3.    If there is a yellow question mark next to the name of the sound card, there might be a problem. Right-click the name of the sound card, and then click Properties.

4.    Click the General tab, and then look in the Device status box to identify problems with the sound card.

Generally, most of sound issues can be fixed by update or reinstall sound card driver. Continue with the step above, please switch to Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.

If it fails to find any driver for your sound card, please check whether the sound driver is compatible with Windows Vista. Besides, please visit the manufacturer’s website to download and reinstall the latest driver of the audio card designed for Windows Vista.

To check the compatibility information about the sound card, please refer to:

Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)

http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

If you have anything unclear about the steps above, please let me know the model of the sound card. I will help you to check whether the device is compatible with Windows Vista.

If the problem still persists after reinstalling proper driver, please recheck the device status as Step 4 and tell me the result. 

For more information about troubleshooting common sound problem in Windows Vista, please refer to:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/1e87a3e8-c0e8-49af-980f-9eb6686f42d21033.mspx

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 11:07 AM
  •  Chris2012 wrote:
    I just installed windows vista on my personal home computer,  everything works fine but i don't have any sound.

When i put my mouse on the sound icon i get the following message:  No Audio Device is installed.  I have tried updating the driver but it says there is no known driver.   

Could someone please help me with this issue?

Thanx,

Chris
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 9:59 PM
  • thanks! i experience the same problem too...but after following your direction written above, i finally managed to resolve the problem.i do not know much about how vista really works and until now im a bit confuse.... i guess i wont update the next time. since im not really more familiar with what to d with my laptop if it has problem and i dont want to encounter the same thing again.
    but im glad ive managed to resolve this without my technicians help. thanks!
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:02 AM
  • Dear chen,

After I updated windows program regarding language packs(it was recommended highly), the audio output device is gone. So I followed the directions above, but I couldn't find my sound card.

After I opened the system and maintenance to see what sound card I have, it says there is no drivers are installed in this computer. and in General tab, it says Conexant High Definition computer. Please help me out.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 1:39 AM
  • Hello

I too have similiar problem. Bought computer 8 months ago with Vista already installed and all was working v well until this week. Suddenly, can get no audio output and also getting this "no audio output device installed" message. Also in General Devices Tab is Conexant High Definition but no sign of my sound card. Please advise

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 9:27 PM