none
Server Essentials 2016 RWW Broken

Question

• RWW stops working on the server essentials 2016 after about 24 hours. After reboot everything starts working again. Router has 443 open and has been rebooted. Can RDP into the server and can VPN into the server. RWW just stops working. Event logs don't show anything but a CAPI problem. Services all started but there must be one of them that is dependent on RWW that is timing out after 24 hours. I thought it might be a certificate issue because the remote users trying to access did not run the connector program but they can access RWW after a server reboot which would eliminate a certificate issue. I am not sure where else to look or turn too fix this issue. Thanks.

Mark Hickinbotham

Saturday, November 26, 2016 1:06 PM

All replies

• stops working?  so when you surf to it you get page not found instead of the login screen?

Grey

Monday, November 28, 2016 1:46 AM
  • I get the login screen and login but it denies entry. When I reboot the server it works fine for 24 hours. Then we get denial message again.

Mark Hickinbotham

Monday, November 28, 2016 2:01 PM
  • So it says bad password?

You are using domain\user for the user name?

Open IIS mgr and look at the app pools, are they started?  Recycle the remoteapp pool

Grey

Monday, November 28, 2016 2:08 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 08, 2016 11:53 AM
  • We are working on it but it is in the hands of MS support right now. Upon restart of the server the RWW (Access Anywhere) is fully accessible. After 24 hours the users can't sign in. There is some reason that SE 2016 times out the RWW service for users at 24 hours. Tried restarting WWW publishing and other services but nothing works except a reboot of the server. Mariette Knap is spearheading the effort with MS support to find the answer. If there is anything that can be done to elevate this up to a higher level at MS support it would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Hickinbotham

Thursday, December 08, 2016 12:01 PM
  • To answer Grey's questions above please know that we have restarted the app pools in IIS and this has not resolved the issue.

Mark Hickinbotham

Thursday, December 08, 2016 12:02 PM
  • Hi,

I notice that you have opened a MS support ticket to track this issue. Are there any progress these days?

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 12, 2016 2:56 AM
  • No response from MS support has been received and therefore no progress has been made. We are awaiting their direction. It has been frustrating and a concern. I know that MS support team realizes the significance of this issue and will hopefully help us resolve it quickly. Please let us know what we can do to help.

Mark Hickinbotham

Monday, December 12, 2016 7:21 AM
  • There has been response on this issue between me and Microsoft as I am working on Marks server but no solution yet unfortunately. Just to clarify that we are working on this issue.

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Twitter | Facebook | Migrations done the easy way

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, December 12, 2016 7:36 AM
  • Are you getting the following after you log in?

Cannot connect to Remote Web Access. Please contact the person who manages the server.

If so I have a customer with same problem. Only happens after a few days though (has happened twice in a week)

Had to reboot server each time to fix it
    • Edited by Allen Ball Thursday, December 15, 2016 8:10 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 8:10 AM
  • Yes. That is correct. The log in screen appears and the message is exactly the same. The timing appears to be 24-48 hours. A reboot fixes it temporarily.

Mark Hickinbotham

Thursday, December 15, 2016 11:25 AM
  • Same here.
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 7:44 PM
  • This is a bug. Microsoft must fix this asap.

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Twitter | Facebook | Migrations done the easy way

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 15, 2016 7:48 PM
  • Without rebooting the server we were able to get RWW up and running by restarting the "Server" service and IIS Reset.  Can confirm this issue on a new Windows Server 2016 Standard server w/ Essentials role.

Any updates?

Thursday, December 29, 2016 5:35 PM
  • I have not received any update from Microsoft yet. Thanks for the info on a workaround.

Mariëtte Knap

Friday, December 30, 2016 9:03 AM
  • Alvin,

Can you provide an update from Microsoft on the fix for this issue. It is really important for RWA to work. Something should have been provided by now. Please let us know the status. Thank you.

Mark Hickinbotham

Mark Hickinbotham

Wednesday, January 04, 2017 10:54 AM
  • Yes, it's quite extraordinary that a core feature like Remote Web Access can be released to the public in a completely broken state. My client is nagging me about when they can start using Remote Web Access and I have to tell them to wait until Microsoft fixes it!
    Sunday, January 08, 2017 7:51 PM
  • It would be considerate and appropriate if one of the Microsoft moderators could tell us when they anticipate a fix. A functioning RWA is a major factor for companies purchasing and installing the product. It really is a deal breaker for a lot of clients. Can Microsoft please get us a fix for this issue. It has been more than enough time to correct it. Please. Thank you.

Mark Hickinbotham

Mark Hickinbotham

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 5:26 AM
  • This is the kind of bug you'd expect to be quickly escalated to the development team. Remote Web Access is a core feature of Windows Server Essentials 2016 and it doesn't work (for more than about 24 hours)!
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:42 PM
  • Can you provide me with a case number please?  Let's get this escalated.
    Monday, January 23, 2017 5:20 PM
  • Sorry to bother again, can I get a case number?
    Friday, January 27, 2017 11:28 PM
  • Yes, please share the case number with Susan. This bug impacts a lot of people and needs to be fixed ASAP.
    Saturday, January 28, 2017 2:47 AM
  • This was the thread in partner support https://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en-us/mpndataplat/forum/mpncatwinsvr-mpnws2016/cannot-connect-to-remote-web-access-please-contact/2851ea0f-70d9-48d5-a981-0863a55ecea3. They also have all log files from this case.

Mariëtte Knap

Saturday, January 28, 2017 6:45 AM
  • That's unacceptable.  Can you email me at susan-at-msmvps.com and let's get a phone support case opened up please?  I'll need your email address and phone number.
    Saturday, January 28, 2017 6:20 PM
  • Send by email. BTW, this is the third time in two years I have a very, very bad experience with Microsoft caused by a bug.

Mariëtte Knap

Saturday, January 28, 2017 8:22 PM
  • I have informed my client (Mark) that we will be working on this again.

Mariëtte Knap

Saturday, January 28, 2017 8:31 PM
  • We are also experiencing the same issue here. Windows Server 2016 with the Server Essentials Role installed. Setup RWW through the wizard and purchased a new certificate through GoDaddy.

Everything appeared to be ok for the first 24 hours and then the same issue popped up: "Cannot connect to Remote Web Access. Please contact the person who manages the server. "

When you browse to the remote.domain.com the login screen appears as expected and allows you to login. One thing I noticed is that it takes 30 - 45 seconds before it errors out with the "Cannot connect to Remote Web Access. Please contact the person who manages the server. " error. We have a 2012 R2 Essentials server on another campus and it has been running flawlessly since we set it up. This one has been problematic since the beginning. I originally thought it had something to do with how I imported the SSL certificate, but I do not see any cert errors anywhere in the event viewer and this error seems to be something internal since it occurs after 24 hours.

I hope Microsoft finds a solution soon because our staff are getting restless that they have to RDP with a software VPN client we put on their PCs at home as a work around.

Sunday, January 29, 2017 10:46 PM
  • Hi All,

Just collect some background. How many clients are connected to the server? What other features have been enabled on the server?

When the issue occurs, does the following function work?

1. Generate a health report on Home->Health Report tab

2. Export all remote connections on Users->Users tab

When the issue occurs, what is the cpu/memory usage of the WSE services?

When the issue occurs, what is the result by running the following powershell:

netstat -a | select-string "\[::1\]:65532" | Measure-Object -Line

Thanks

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 12:35 AM
  • Hi Everyone on the thread.

Same Issue, however I may have found an annoying workaround?  I can get in using the mobile website "https://xxxxx.domain.com/remote/m

This will at least allow clients to access their files, but no luck on downloading Remote Desktop Links.

Issue Defined:

Users log into https://xxxxxx.domain.com/remote (because I don't get forwarded to the login page when using the simple landing page of https://xxxxxx.domain.com) [I think this is a separate issue]

Login via my Login Screen, takes an unusually long time to log in (about 30 seconds to 1 min)

Receive "Cannot connect to Remote Web Access.  Please contact the person who manages the server."

I log in via https://xxxxxx.domain.com/remote/m (to access the mobile website)

I can access my files via web.

• Proposed as answer by Benjamin Schramm Wednesday, February 08, 2017 12:55 AM
    • Edited by Benjamin Schramm Wednesday, February 08, 2017 1:00 AM Added "Issue Defined"
    Wednesday, February 08, 2017 12:55 AM
  • Hi All,

This issue might occur when you have O365/AAD enabled on the server. The product team is investigating it, in the mean time, the following workaround might help mitigate this issue:

1. On the server, go to folder %programfiles%\Windows Server\Bin\FeatureDefinitions\Microsoft PwdSync\

2. Make a copy of file Definition.xml for backup

3. Edit the original Definition.xml (if you don't have permission, copy the file out, edit it and put it back in the folder):

Comment out the following two sections:

<!--

<HealthDefinition Name="PasswordSyncInvalidPassword"

</HealthDefinition>

<HealthDefinition Name="PasswordSyncOtherFailure"

</HealthDefinition>

-->

4. Restart WseEmailSvc windows service.

Please let me know whether it helps nor not.

Thanks,

Junxiang

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 6:16 AM
  • I'm trying it now on a couple of my customers' servers and will report back.

Pete

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:52 PM
  • So far so good. The workaround is working for two days. No more "Cannot connect to Remote Web Access. Please contact the person who manages the server" every 24 hours.

Pete

Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:32 PM
  • Hi All,

This issue might occur when you have O365/AAD enabled on the server. The product team is investigating it, in the mean time, the following workaround might help mitigate this issue:

1. On the server, go to folder %programfiles%\Windows Server\Bin\FeatureDefinitions\Microsoft PwdSync\

2. Make a copy of file Definition.xml for backup

3. Edit the original Definition.xml (if you don't have permission, copy the file out, edit it and put it back in the folder):

Comment out the following two sections:

<!--

<HealthDefinition Name="PasswordSyncInvalidPassword"

</HealthDefinition>

<HealthDefinition Name="PasswordSyncOtherFailure"

</HealthDefinition>

-->

4. Restart WseEmailSvc windows service.

Please let me know whether it helps nor not.

Thanks,

Junxiang

That also fixes my issue with the WSE dashboard taking nearly two minutes to open. Brilliant! Thank you.
    Sunday, February 19, 2017 8:24 PM
  • Just got off the phone with a Microsoft Engineer and I was told that the change to the XML file is going to be a manual fix until a permanent fix is ready. The update that will fix this issue is delayed and will take another 3 months

Mariëtte Knap

Thursday, March 02, 2017 3:57 PM
  • The Microsoft engineer working on my case informs me a private fix is now available for us to test. I hope to install it tomorrow.
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:36 AM
  • The private hotfix seems to have resolved the issue. The engineer assigned to my case says a permanent fix should appear as an optional update in one month and then a mandatory update the following month.
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:06 PM
  • The private hotfix seems to have resolved the issue. The engineer assigned to my case says a permanent fix should appear as an optional update in one month and then a mandatory update the following month.

Simon, I just started having this same issue with my 2016 server. The modification of the xml file didn't work for me. Can you put up a link to where we can download this hotfix? Thanks!
    Monday, March 27, 2017 9:57 PM

Simon, I just started having this same issue with my 2016 server. The modification of the xml file didn't work for me. Can you put up a link to where we can download this hotfix? Thanks!

Are you sure you made the correct modifications to the XML file?

You can't download the hotfix, as it's a private hotfix, which the engineer working my case copied to the server. We had to disable secure boot and edit the BCD to allow test signing mode before installing the hotfix. Also, the desktop now displays a message saying "Test Mode. Windows Server 2016 Standard. For testing purposes only. Build 14393.rs1_release_161220-1747." I'll have to reverse all these changes once the fix is made public.

A permanent fix should appear as an optional update (on Windows Update) in one month and then a mandatory update the following month.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 3:28 AM

Are you sure you made the correct modifications to the XML file?

You can't download the hotfix, as it's a private hotfix, which the engineer working my case copied to the server. We had to disable secure boot and edit the BCD to allow test signing mode before installing the hotfix. Also, the desktop now displays a message saying "Test Mode. Windows Server 2016 Standard. For testing purposes only. Build 14393.rs1_release_161220-1747." I'll have to reverse all these changes once the fix is made public.

A permanent fix should appear as an optional update (on Windows Update) in one month and then a mandatory update the following month.

Oh ok, that makes sense. I just restarted the server and it all works again, but wondering if it's the 24 hour thing where it won't work again soon. Here's a clip from the xml file that I modded:

<!--
        <HealthDefinitions>
          <HealthDefinition Name="PasswordSyncInvalidPassword" Title="Wssg.PasswordSyncAlerts!Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.PasswordSync.AlertsResource#PasswordSyncInvalidPasswordTitle">
            <Filter>
              <Binary>
                <Assembly>HealthActions</Assembly>
                <Class>Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.Actions.NetworkServerFilter</Class>
              </Binary>
            </Filter>
            <Condition>
              <Binary>
                <Assembly>Wssg.PasswordSyncAlerts</Assembly>
                <Class>Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.PasswordSync.PasswordSyncInvalidPasswordServerAction</Class>
              </Binary>
            </Condition>
            <HealthStatusChange>
              <Status>Critical</Status>
            </HealthStatusChange>
            <Troubleshoot>
              <Steps>Wssg.PasswordSyncAlerts!Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.PasswordSync.AlertsResource#PasswordSyncInvalidPasswordSteps</Steps>
            </Troubleshoot>
          </HealthDefinition>

<HealthDefinition Name="PasswordSyncOtherFailure" Title="Wssg.PasswordSyncAlerts!Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.PasswordSync.AlertsResource#PasswordSyncFailedServerTitle">
            <Filter>
              <Binary>
                <Assembly>HealthActions</Assembly>
                <Class>Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.Actions.NetworkServerFilter</Class>
              </Binary>
            </Filter>
            <Condition>
              <Binary>
                <Assembly>Wssg.PasswordSyncAlerts</Assembly>
                <Class>Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.PasswordSync.PasswordSyncOtherFailureServerAction</Class>
              </Binary>
            </Condition>
            <HealthStatusChange>
              <Status>Critical</Status>
            </HealthStatusChange>
            <Troubleshoot>
              <Steps>Wssg.PasswordSyncAlerts!Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.PasswordSync.AlertsResource#PasswordSyncFailedServerSteps</Steps>
            </Troubleshoot>
          </HealthDefinition>
     -->

• Edited by Davesurfer Tuesday, March 28, 2017 6:23 AM
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 6:23 AM
  • Your <!-- should be between <HealthDefinitions> and
          <HealthDefinition
    So 1 line below where you put it now.

I'm struggling with the same problem though and this has not fixed it for me (yet).

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 12:21 PM
  • Your <!-- should be between <HealthDefinitions> and
          <HealthDefinition
    So 1 line below where you put it now.

I'm struggling with the same problem though and this has not fixed it for me (yet).

Oh good catch I'll try that. So for now I've told my clients to go to https://remote.companyname.com/m for the RWW website. This brings up the mobile site which still seems to work fine and is good for a temporary workaround till MS gets this fixed.
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 9:27 PM
  • So it seems editing the definition.xml file fixes it for now, it's been stable so far.
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 4:06 PM
  • I have the same problem, but the workaround (Definition.xml) doesn't work.

It's a Server 2016 with the Essentials role installed.

Logging in using IE on the server itself (RWW) itself gives following error message:

Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Settings provider error Source Error:

Line 87: <profile defaultProvider="HSBSUserProfileProvider" inherits="Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.Profile.WssgProfileBase, Wssg.Web.Internal"> Line 88: <providers> Line 89: <add name="HSBSUserProfileProvider" type="Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.Profile.HSBSUserProfileProvider, Wssg.Web.UserProfileProvider" description="User profile provider" /> Line 90: </providers> Line 91: <properties> Source File: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\web.config Line: 89

Using another computer, the message is:

Cannot connect to Remote Web Access. Please contact the person who manages the server. 

A reboot is the only way to solve it for a day (or two).

Is this the same problem as everybody else in this threat?

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:29 PM
  • This issue will be fixed in the May 2017 Windows updates.
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 4:50 AM