Email notifications not working, not being sent RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I want e-mails to get sent whenever an incident is created....One message to the end-user and another to the IT Staff person.  It worked fine on the old SM server, but now we built a new one with Server 2008 R2 and SQL 2008 R2.

I followed the steps to do so, but the no messages are being sent.  I did the following:

1. Created and configured the e-mail SMTP channel with the correct FQDN for our Exchange 2010 server, port 25, and a valid mailbox and reply address in AD.  I also enabled it.

2. Created 2 subscriptions...One for to trigger messages to end-users and one to trigger to the IT Staff person assigned to incident.

3. Created 2 e-mail templates... one for the users and one for IT Staff

What am I missing? 

Thanks,

David

Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:04 AM

Answers

• You may also want to check the workflows themselves.

You can check these on the admin pane within SCSM and this might also give you some more insight as to why the e-mail are not working.

If you have configured your SCSM to relay through your exchange server, you can also try to use "Anonymous" on your send connector within SCSM

As long as you learn something new every day, the day is not wasted.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:49 AM

All replies

• So, no messages are being sent when I create a new incident.  I created about 10 by now, trying to test each time.  On Exchange 2010, the IP address of my SM server is being allowed.

I looked in the Ops Manager log in Event Viewer, but there are no errors.  What is the cause?  Thanks for any help you can give me!

David

Thursday, March 1, 2012 1:49 AM
  • You may also want to check the workflows themselves.

You can check these on the admin pane within SCSM and this might also give you some more insight as to why the e-mail are not working.

If you have configured your SCSM to relay through your exchange server, you can also try to use "Anonymous" on your send connector within SCSM

As long as you learn something new every day, the day is not wasted.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Hi,

First of all, I would use telnet to send an email from the server just to make sure that Exchange accepts it and send it to the addressed person.
    (http://yuki-onna.co.uk/email/smtp.html)

If that works, then the issue is probably within Service Manager - start by looking at the workflow status under Administration -> Workflows -> Status. Are the workflows triggered at all? Do you have any errors? Then, check the Operations Manager event log on the mgmt. server for any errors.

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se

Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:01 AM
  • Hello all,

The issue was resolved after I recreated the workflows (back at the beginning of March).  Thanks for all of your input!  It helped greatly!

David

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 4:22 PM