Cleaning/clearing/deleting updates in WSUS and re-synchronising - Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I mistakenly selected a number of products for update when configuring the upstream WSUS server. When I then synchronised the downstream server with this upstream one it still took all of the mistakenly downloaded updates. I had changed the product settings on the upstream server to only get Windows 8 and Server 2012 updates and run the sync again before this. No updates have been applied/installed.

MY QUESTIONS:-

1. Can I delete all the updates on the upstream server and then re-sync this upstream server with Windows Update? How?
    2. Can I then delete all updates from the downstream server and re-sync it with the cleaned upstream server?

Thanks for any help...

Friday, August 15, 2014 6:41 AM

Answers

• MY QUESTIONS:-

• Can I delete all the updates on the upstream server and then re-sync this upstream server with Windows Update?

Depends on what you mean by "delete".

You cannot actually *delete* updates on a WSUS server, but you can *decline* them which makes them effectively invisible to clients and downstream servers. Of course, if the downstream server already knows about those updates, then it will merely sync the "decline" event and they'll be declined on the downstream server.

Depending on how many updates you have, and how many you decline, this can also be problematic, as the server sync event does not deal well with large numbers of events in a single sync.

Personally, I think you should just de-select the products you're not interested in and press on with life. (The updates are in the database regardless of what you've selected on products/classifications .. all those settings do is control what's visible or hidden from the console views.)

• Can I then delete all updates from the downstream server and re-sync it with the cleaned upstream server?

The *best* way to achieve this is to just install a new replica server and sync from scratch.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Daniel JiSun Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:35 AM
    Monday, August 18, 2014 3:32 AM