Server manager has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• Server manager has stopped working on one of my server 2008 machines it comes up with a message

"MMC could not Create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.

Name: Server Manager

CLSID: FX:{18ea3f92-d6aa-41d9-a205-2023400c8fbb}"

this happens after i install Microsoft updates I have been unable to identify which update causes the problem i can fix it by restoring an old backup which i have but each time i try to update the server i end up with this problem.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this as i donot want to have to rebuild the server from the begining.

Friday, August 19, 2011 9:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my search, this issue mostly can be caused by the corrupted machine.config file.

At that point, please try to copy a good machine.config file from a working machine and replace the corrupted on to check the result.

%systemroot% \Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 2:54 PM

All replies

• what version of windows server 2008 you are using? do you have the latest service pack installed? why not try to uninstall the latest update that you apply, and check whether it will solve your problem. 

You need to identify which update is causing problem to your server, or else you will end up having same problem.

You can identify which update is causing the problem but it's quite a hard work, you will need to uninstall the windows updates one by one. If you're really not sure which one is messing up with your server.

But after you uninstall an update check whether your problem is solved or not. 

But hope that someone has an easy fix for your problem, :) Good luck!

Every second counts..make use of it.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 10:26 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my search, this issue mostly can be caused by the corrupted machine.config file.

At that point, please try to copy a good machine.config file from a working machine and replace the corrupted on to check the result.

%systemroot% \Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 2:54 PM