Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize]. RRS feed

• Question

• The rest of the error says: 

The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup]

I am trying to sysprep a windows 10 x64 pro operating system to capture a reference image. It currently has no updates besides the one included in the ISO that I used for my VM. It also has no anti-virus. 

The settings I needed configured for my work environment are pretty simple. We configure MIT training laptops and E-Learning laptops. I am sysprepping to eventually capture a reference image with MDT 2013. On the reference image, there needs to be an administrator account named "admin" and a standard account named "MIT" or "E-learning." They are both local accounts. This is why I have it enabled to skip OOBE and skip OOBE User creation, I don't want to create another admin account just to capture a reference image where I need to delete an account later. We need java, office, avast free anti-virus, and updates installed.

Here is my answer file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    -<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
    -<settings pass="oobeSystem">
    -<component language="neutral" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" versionScope="nonSxS" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" processorArchitecture="amd64" name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup">
    -<OOBE>
    -<VMModeOptimizations>
    <SkipAdministratorProfileRemoval>true</SkipAdministratorProfileRemoval>
    <SkipNotifyUILanguageChange>true</SkipNotifyUILanguageChange>
    <SkipWinREInitialization>true</SkipWinREInitialization>
    </VMModeOptimizations>
    <HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
    <HideLocalAccountScreen>true</HideLocalAccountScreen>
    <HideOEMRegistrationScreen>true</HideOEMRegistrationScreen>
    <HideOnlineAccountScreens>true</HideOnlineAccountScreens>
    <HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>
    <NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>
    <ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
    <SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE>
    <SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>
    <UnattendEnableRetailDemo>false</UnattendEnableRetailDemo>
    </OOBE>
    <BluetoothTaskbarIconEnabled>false</BluetoothTaskbarIconEnabled>
    <ConvertibleSlateModePromptPreference>0</ConvertibleSlateModePromptPreference>
    <DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet>true</DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet>
    <DoNotCleanTaskBar>true</DoNotCleanTaskBar>
    <EnableStartMenu>true</EnableStartMenu>
    <RegisteredOrganization>QK Holdings, LLC</RegisteredOrganization>
    <RegisteredOwner>QK</RegisteredOwner>
    <ShowPowerButtonOnStartScreen>false</ShowPowerButtonOnStartScreen>
    <ShowWindowsLive>false</ShowWindowsLive>
    <SignInMode>0</SignInMode>
    <TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time</TimeZone>
    </component>
    </settings>
    <cpi:offlineImage xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" cpi:source="wim:c:/users/administrator/desktop/iso/install.wim#Windows 10 Pro"/>
    </unattend>

And here is the setupact.log from the sysprep directory:

2016-05-13 14:08:31, Warning       SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteValue: Registry value SysprepMode to be deleted does not exist under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep
    2016-05-13 14:08:22, Warning       SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteValue: Registry value ConvertibleSlateMode to be deleted does not exist under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl
    2016-05-13 14:08:22, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteValue: Registry value PortableOperatingSystem to be deleted does not exist under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
    2016-05-13 14:08:05, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteKey: Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WwanSvc\MobileBroadbandAccounts\NetworkInterfaceBindings to be deleted does not exist
    2016-05-13 14:08:05, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteValue: Registry value NoPPIProvision to be deleted does not exist under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TPM\WMI
    2016-05-13 14:08:05, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteValue: Registry value NoResourceVirtualizationOnNextReboot to be deleted does not exist under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TPM\WMI
    2016-05-13 14:08:05, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteValue: Registry value PPIVersion_Test to be deleted does not exist under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TPM\WMI
    2016-05-13 14:08:05, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteValue: Registry value NoPPIClear to be deleted does not exist under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TPM\WMI
     2016-05-13 14:08:05, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteValue: Registry value ADBackupCommonName to be deleted does not exist under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TPM\WMI
    2016-05-13 14:08:05, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteValue: Registry value ADBackupSrkPubDigest to be deleted does not exist under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TPM\WMI
    2016-05-13 14:08:05, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteValue: Registry value LastPPIRequest to be deleted does not exist under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TPM\WMI
    2016-05-13 14:08:05, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteValue: Registry value WindowsAIKPub to be deleted does not exist under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TPM\WMI
    2016-05-13 14:08:05, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteValue: Registry value WindowsAIKBinding to be deleted does not exist under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TPM\WMI
    2016-05-13 14:08:05, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteKey: Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TPM\KeyAttestationKeys to be deleted does not exist
    2016-05-13 14:08:05, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteKey: Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TPM\PlatformQuoteKeys to be deleted does not exist
     SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteKey: Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\VAN\{7724F5B4-9A4A-4a93-AD09-B06F7AB31035}\HideDisconnectMessage to be deleted does not exist
    2016-05-13 14:08:01, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteKey: Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MultiModeScenarios\LastKnownLocation to be deleted does not exist
    2016-05-13 14:08:00, Error                 SYSPRP setupdigetclassdevs failed with error 0
    2016-05-13 14:08:00, Warning               SYSPRP SPPNP: Could not clear event log Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnPConfig/Configuration. Err = 0x3A9F
    2016-05-13 14:08:00, Warning               SYSPRP SPPNP: Missing driver file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vmci.sys. Err = 0x2
    2016-05-13 14:06:57, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteValue: Registry value SysprepMode to be deleted does not exist under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep
    2016-05-13 14:06:57, Warning                      TapiSysPrep.dll:RetainTapiLocations:RegQueryValueEx() returned 2
    2016-05-13 14:06:51, Warning                      [shsetup] CleanUpImmersiveLauncher: could not find the item state store
    2016-05-13 14:06:44, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::GetValue: Error from RegQueryValueEx on value SysprepMode under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep; dwRet = 0x2
    2016-05-13 14:06:43, Warning    [0x0f008f] SYSPRP RunRegistryDlls:Registry key is either empty or malformed: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\SysPrepExternal\Generalize
    2016-05-13 14:06:43, Warning    [0x0f008f] SYSPRP RunRegistryDlls:Registry key is either empty or malformed: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\SysPrepExternal\Cleanup
    2016-05-13 14:06:41, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::GetValue: Error from RegQueryValueEx on value SysprepMode under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep; dwRet = 0x2
    2016-05-13 14:06:40, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::GetValue: Error from RegQueryValueEx on value SysprepMode under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep; dwRet = 0x2
    2016-05-13 13:43:25, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::DeleteValue: Registry value SysprepMode to be deleted does not exist under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep
    2016-05-13 13:43:12, Warning               SYSPRP ActionPlatform::GetValue: Error from RegQueryValueEx on value SysprepMode under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep; dwRet = 0x2

• Edited by mbradley101 Saturday, May 14, 2016 12:53 AM
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 12:15 AM

All replies

• This isn't based off of the Windows 10 templates in MDT is it? You might want to try using that.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Saturday, May 14, 2016 12:37 AM
  • Not sure what you mean by templates? I actually haven't really played around with MDT 2013 too much, I'm trying to focus on getting a good reference image captured.

Thanks

Saturday, May 14, 2016 1:00 AM
  • MDT has all you need to make a reference image and much easier. http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/357/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Saturday, May 14, 2016 2:00 AM
  • Is there anything in the setuperr.log?  You really should be building your reference/gold with MDT though, there are many ways to deal with the local administrator account via GPO/scripting that won't have you trying to reinvent the wheel.
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 2:15 AM
  • The problem is the laptops that I will use for deployment are not joined to any domains. It's all going to be local user accounts.
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 2:46 AM
  • http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/427/Final-Configuration-for-MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-now-with-Autologon-support - you can modify this to kill local administrators as well.  
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 2:50 AM
  • You can also do a fat image capture with all your contents you want above, create a deployment TS in MDT, and disable the local administrator in the deployment TS unattend. The previous method would be for a slimmer image that disables it at the end of the deployment ts.
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 2:56 AM
  • Why would I want to kill local administrators when the two accounts I want in my reference image are a local "Admin" account and a standard account called "MIT?"
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 3:19 AM
  •  I don't want to create another admin account just to capture a reference image where I need to delete an account later. We need java, office, avast free anti-virus, and updates installed.

Per above, you stated I don't want to create another admin account just to capture a reference image.  A basic task sequence in MDT as suggested by Tyler and myself will use an automatically created .\administrator to build\deploy with. 

Saturday, May 14, 2016 3:23 AM
  • Right, but I was referring to the account that you have to create when you go through the OOBE. The two accounts in my reference image, "admin" (administrator) and "MIT" (standard user) are the only two accounts I need.
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 3:25 AM
  • I see, MDT is going to create that same account to run installs/etc, I figured you wanted that account disabled and maybe that's why you weren't already using MDT -- I wasn't sure why else you wouldn't use it unless you like making things hard on yourself :)

I would read the FAQs and dig into MDT, unattend creation has been automated for a long time now.  Everything you're doing can be done in a week or so of work in MDT, and we can definitely help you if you get stuck.

Saturday, May 14, 2016 3:35 AM
  • Yeah,  I definitely see what you both are saying. I've seen a few videos on youtube, like BTNHD's video on capturing a reference image in MDT 2013. I guess I kind of am getting buried into this whole thing because I'm a complete newbie, lol. 
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 3:49 AM
  • If you need basics these are a little old but, still interesting: http://deploymentresearch.com/Videos/MDT-2010-Lite-Touch-Unleashed-Videos

Saturday, May 14, 2016 3:55 AM
  • I figured out what the issue was. 

I feel like an idiot.

An unattend.xml was left in the %windir%\system32\sysprep folder.

The one I was pointing to when I was running the command was directly in the C: drive. 

You cannot have another unattend.xml in the sysprep folder when you run a different one, although I forgot the reason why. Anyways, just for future reference for anyone else that views this.

• Proposed as answer by MikeyB202 Saturday, May 14, 2016 5:45 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by MikeyB202 Monday, January 16, 2017 3:49 AM
    • Proposed as answer by MikeyB202 Monday, January 16, 2017 3:49 AM
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 5:45 AM