Define New List Style ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have used the Multilevel List tool have then clicked Define New List Style to create a new list style. I have created the style but when I click the Style Launcher to display the Styles pane I cannot see a way of viewing the style. Why can't I view the style in this pane?

As far as I can see, the only way of viewing the style is to click the Manage Styles button at the foot of the Styles pane. In the Manage Styles dialog box I can click change the Sort Order to Alphabetical and then see my style.

Also, when I click on my list in the document and click the Style Inspector it displays a style called List Paragraph. Why doesn't the Style Inspector display the name of my style?

Friday, October 22, 2010 9:52 PM

Answers

• List styles (as well as table styles) never show in the Styles pane. However, you can see list styles in the Apply Styles pane (Ctrl+Shift+S) or at Home tab | Multilevel List.

More importantly, if you associate each numbering level of a list style with a paragraph style (as suggested by Shauna Kelly in her article), you don't have to apply a list style, ever. You simply apply the appropriate paragraph style to text. The list style will only be needed when you want to modify the number formatting. And that can be done via the Apply Styles pane: type in the name of the list style and then click Modify.

Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

"ec-pc" wrote in message news:7315dcd2-f033-41c1-a12e-b29e8fc6d937@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Great resources - thanks for that.

I still can't seem to be able to view my list style in the Styles pane - perhaps this just can't be done?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Saturday, October 23, 2010 5:13 PM (typo)
    • Marked as answer by nivlektech Monday, October 25, 2010 3:24 PM
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 1:44 PM

All replies

• See the article "How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word document" on the following page of fellow MVP Shauna Kelly's website:

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

If you create a template to hold your numbering scheme, you can use that
    template as the basis for new documents (using File > New) and the new
    documents will then inherit your numbering scheme. To do that, see:

Creating a Template - The Basics (Part I) at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart1.htm

and Creating a Template (Part II) at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"ec-pc" wrote in message news:951efe9e-03bd-4bf2-8f4f-d308ef1f8d31@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have used the Multilevel List tool have then clicked Define New List Style to create a new list style. I have created the style but when I click the Style Launcher to display the Styles pane I cannot see a way of viewing the style. Why can't I view the style in this pane?

As far as I can see, the only way of viewing the style is to click the Manage Styles button at the foot of the Styles pane. In the Manage Styles dialog box I can click change the Sort Order to Alphabetical and then see my style.

Also, when I click on my list in the document and click the Style Inspector it displays a style called List Paragraph. Why doesn't the Style Inspector display the name of my style?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Friday, October 22, 2010 10:23 PM
  • Great resources - thanks for that.

I still can't seem to be able to view my list style in the Styles pane - perhaps this just can't be done?

Saturday, October 23, 2010 9:38 AM
  • List styles (as well as table styles) never show in the Styles pane. However, you can see list styles in the Apply Styles pane (Ctrl+Shift+S) or at Home tab | Multilevel List.

More importantly, if you associate each numbering level of a list style with a paragraph style (as suggested by Shauna Kelly in her article), you don't have to apply a list style, ever. You simply apply the appropriate paragraph style to text. The list style will only be needed when you want to modify the number formatting. And that can be done via the Apply Styles pane: type in the name of the list style and then click Modify.

Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

"ec-pc" wrote in message news:7315dcd2-f033-41c1-a12e-b29e8fc6d937@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Great resources - thanks for that.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Saturday, October 23, 2010 5:13 PM (typo)
    • Marked as answer by nivlektech Monday, October 25, 2010 3:24 PM
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 1:44 PM