Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 local server access problem RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 gives "Windows cannot access \\servername\folder    you do not have permission to access \\servername\folder. Contact your network administrator to request access"

I've set the server (running Server 2008 R2) to share the drive, I've given the user full control permission over the drive, and I've tried different accounts on the client computer to access the networked drive, none of which connect, all result in the windows cannot access.

The server, and the client computer are on the same workgroup.
    Other computers can access the server fine, and access any drives. Other W7 Home Premium laptops can access the drive fine as well, just not this laptop.

Any other questions to things you may need to know, feel free to ask
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:07 PM

Answers

• Hi BaalSac,

Thanks for posting here.

You mentioned we’ve granted full control permission for users on this folder in order to allow them to access remotely . So have we granted both NTFS and Sharing(SMB) permission ?

Managing Permissions for Shared Folders
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753731.aspx

Meanwhile, you mentioned also we can see remote server so I assume the connectivity is not the problem but the permission settings . could you double check that with following the methods that listed in the link I posted previously ?

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:15 AM
  • I managed to fix it, apparently the laptop didn't like how it was a SMB share, so I changed it to NTFS share, and it worked. Luckily a fairly easy fix, though I totally forgot about that...
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:02 PM

All replies

• Hi BaalSac,

Thanks for posting here.

Have we tried to access via IP address instead hostname ? have we got DNS or WINS serve deployed in this scenario ?
    Try the procedures in the link below and see how is going:

Solution Center for Access Denied Error Messages
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/access-denied

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

Friday, March 9, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Hi Tiger, there are no DNS or WINS servers deployed, just the file server I mentioned, it's not on a domain, just on the workgroup.

I've tried accessing the server via IP address, which is the same end result.

The laptop itself can see the server, and it can see the shared drives, just it can't connect, and produces the error I mentioned in the original post. which is "Windows cannot access \\servername\folder    you do not have permission to access \\servername\folder. Contact your network administrator to request access"

Monday, March 12, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Hi BaalSac,

Thanks for posting here.

You mentioned we’ve granted full control permission for users on this folder in order to allow them to access remotely . So have we granted both NTFS and Sharing(SMB) permission ?

Managing Permissions for Shared Folders
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753731.aspx

Meanwhile, you mentioned also we can see remote server so I assume the connectivity is not the problem but the permission settings . could you double check that with following the methods that listed in the link I posted previously ?

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:15 AM
  • I managed to fix it, apparently the laptop didn't like how it was a SMB share, so I changed it to NTFS share, and it worked. Luckily a fairly easy fix, though I totally forgot about that...
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:02 PM