Show the last published documents in a view for a document library. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

At our company we have a document library with many documents. These documents are evolving and are therefore going from major versions to minor versions to major versions again. To be able to get a good overview of the last "official" versions we would need to have a view that shows the last "Approved" versions of each document (if any approved versions exist). This is basically the same as watching the document library from a user that only own reading access and therefore only sees the "published" versions.

In our case this view should be used by people that own editing rights as well to the documents. 

Is it possible to accomplish this?

I tried to use the tip from the following site: link 

The "?IncludeVersions=TRUE" did not work though. 

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:55 AM

Answers

• Hi AndersObserve,

I understand that you have a document library that you have enabled content approval(if not, enable it) and versioning, then you want to create a view to filter major(approved) documents, then you can filter on the ApprovalStatus field. Try to create a new standard view, filter the view when the ApprovalStatus is equal to Approved, then the view will display the published version document.

Best Regards.

Kelly Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:03 AM
  • Hello Yaoyao!

I tried this but it only shows the documents which latest version is apptoved. What I want is to see the latest approved versions even if there are drafts of the document that are more recent.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:10 AM

All replies

• Hi AndersObserve,

I understand that you have a document library that you have enabled content approval(if not, enable it) and versioning, then you want to create a view to filter major(approved) documents, then you can filter on the ApprovalStatus field. Try to create a new standard view, filter the view when the ApprovalStatus is equal to Approved, then the view will display the published version document.

Best Regards.

Kelly Chen

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:03 AM
  • Hello Yaoyao!

I tried this but it only shows the documents which latest version is apptoved. What I want is to see the latest approved versions even if there are drafts of the document that are more recent.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Hi,

I can’t understand you clearly, when the approval status is draft, then the document hasn’t been published, from there that you want to filter the latest version documents not the published major version. Then by default, all documents show their latest version. From your original post, you want to filter published documents. Please provide more information, picture better.

Best Regards.

Kelly Chen

• Proposed as answer by RonJohnMSU Monday, March 14, 2016 2:19 PM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:19 AM
  • HI

If you set your library:
    Create major and minor (draft) versions
    Example: 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0

Only princiales be published versions (1.0,2.0,3.0, etc.)
    If the version is X.0 is a major version
    If the version is XY (Y <> 0) is a draft (not visible for all users)

Miguel de Hortaleza

Thursday, April 4, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Oh sorry, what I mean is that we have a document library with versioning on. We have several documents that has been approved before but where the document is now edited again. This means that a new draft version of the document exists while the formerly approved document is an older version of that draft.

We have the versioning in minor and major versions. This makes the approved documents major versions and the drafts are new minor versions.

So what our staff would need is a way of viewing only the latest major versions of alla documents, or alternatively atleast viewing all documents that have a history where it has been in a major version. 

The reason that we would like this functionality is to be able to access documents that are currently in "action" as quality documents in our company while we still will be able to evolve our quality work.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Yes this is what we want. But that a user that actually has the rights to change a document (and by that also has the rights to see the minor versions ) should be able to see only the major versions in a specific view.
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:53 PM
  • Hi

We have the same requirement. Were you able to solve it.

Thanks

Thursday, June 26, 2014 2:56 PM
  • Hi 

I am also trying to do the same, but that doesn't work!

Currently I am trying to filter by "Version number" "containing .0".

It works for some pages, but for some reason it doesn't for some others.

There should be a better way to filter by "Latest Published"!!!

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 6:44 PM
  • I also have this requirement and there are lots of the same requests going on for many years, yet it still seems Microsoft have not addressed it.

Did anyone find a solution to it?

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 11:51 AM
  • Yes. I added a "copy current item to list" with the option to write over each time it is approved. This provides us with a list that has the most recent major version that was approved. Works great!

• Proposed as answer by RonJohnMSU Tuesday, March 1, 2016 7:38 PM
    • Edited by RonJohnMSU Wednesday, December 28, 2016 4:12 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 7:37 PM
  • This was added in my workflow to the approval process.

• Proposed as answer by RonJohnMSU Tuesday, March 1, 2016 7:58 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 7:38 PM

• Proposed as answer by RonJohnMSU Tuesday, March 1, 2016 7:57 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 7:41 PM
  • How can I close this issue?

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:24 PM