none
deliverables and dependencies RRS feed

• Question

• how you can view the links between the deliverable project task and the dependency project task -the %completed - how to create a view that presents the deliverables and their associated %completed from the dependency project.

joaug

Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• joaug,

In order for us to be able to help you, you will have to provide a more detailed explanation. For example, what exactly is a "deliverable project task"? What is a "dependency project task"? You are using terms that are not standard for most of us so we basically have no idea what you mean.

As far a a view that shows links, have you tried the Network Diagram or perhaps the Relationship Diagram?

John

Friday, March 16, 2012 3:33 AM
  • The term dependecy and deliverable are the standard terms in project pro 2010. i know of no other terms to use. but thank you for your interest in providing assistance.

joaug

Sunday, March 18, 2012 1:16 AM
  • joaug,

Yes, deliverable and dependency are standard terms but "deliverable project task" and "dependency project task" are confusing and not very definitive, at least to me.

I could assume that a deliverable projects task is simply a task that culminates in a deliverable item. However a dependency can be a predecessor or successor. And it is not clear how you want to integrate the % complete data into your view. Then in the last sentence of your original post the term "dependency project" is used. In my mind that implies a master/subproject structure but I doubt that is what you meant.

Hence the request for more detailed information, so that we can understand what you need and be able to help you

DId you look at either the Network Diagram or Relationship Diagram? Is either one of those the kind of "view" you want?

John

Sunday, March 18, 2012 2:38 AM
  • The term dependecy and deliverable are the standard terms in project pro 2010. i know of no other terms to use. but thank you for your interest in providing assistance.

joaug

Hello joaug,

I would kindly suggest you post your question on server related forums here at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/projectserver2010

Regards.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 2:54 PM
  • If you want to display % complete on the gantt chart you can only display the task's % complete but not the predecessor's dependency % complete.

but i'm not sure either if that's what you wanted.

If that's what you meant you can only do it by using a custom field with a formula that gets the % complete from the predecessor and display it in format bar (text format...)

Let me know if this is the case and i'll try to help you.

Ofir Marco , MCTS P.Z. Projects

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:18 AM
  • Hi Ofir,

Sorry but in formulas you cannot use values from other tasks. I'm afraid your sugestion doen't work.

Greetings,

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:52 AM
  • I guess you are right...

i think it can work using a macro that copies the predecessor's % complete of a task to a custom field.

I did something similar with a custom field that got the task predecessor name

(an alternative to the predecessor field but using the name and not the ID...)

the problem is what to do with several predecessors?   which % complete to take?

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Hi Ofir,

Yes, with VBA things like this can be done. As to your question about multiple predecessors, since we do not understand what exactly the poster wants, there is no answer... :-)

Greetings,

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:39 AM
  • Agree about that one :)

Hope he will make it clearer

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:57 AM