LaCie Network Drive setup problem with WinXP RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble setting up access to a LaCie Network Space MAX, a 2TB network drive connected to an ethernet port on my FIOS supplied Actiontec router.  I am running WinXP Pro SP3 and have set up a local network following the procedures outlined in "Windows XP Inside/Out."  My problem is that the LaCie supplied setup application, Network Assistant, cannot find the new drive on my network.  I get an error message stating "LaCie network disks cannot be found." 

The new drive can be accessed using what LaCie Support calls Server Message Block by going to Start>Run and entering its network address which is \\192.168.1.4  This brings up the drive in Windows Explorer.  I can also now access the drive by having created a virtual drive "L" with the address \\192.168.1.4\OpenShare (where OpenShare is the name of the shared folder on the LaCie drive) and by setting up a similar entry in My Network Places.  However, I cannot access the password protected MyShare folder using this approach.

I have also set up access to the LaCie Network Space MAX on my new Mac (running OS-X) using the LaCie Network Assistant without any problems.  In the Mac Finder window, the LaCie shows up as a network disk with folders and files and I can use Network Assistant to set up protected MySpace folders as well as the shared OpenShare folder.

Any ideas on how to get the LaCie Network Assistant to recognize the LaCie drive or what is causing the problem?  Without Network Assistant running on the PC, I am unable to set up and access a protected MyShare folder on the LaCie so I can automatically backup to a secure folder.

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:17 PM

All replies

• This particular TechNet Forum is designed to assist Windows XP users with the installation of Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP.

If your issue is not related to installation issues with SP3, please post your question in the more appropriate Microsoft Answers Forum.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Carey Frisch
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 11:26 PM