Lync Persistent chat showing "All channel servers are down" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am currently upgrading Lync 2013 environment to SfB 2015. Recently I added SfB Persistent chat server to topology, published it, and after that 2 things showed up:

Skype for Business end user clients started to show "Your chatroom acces may be limited due to an outage"

and in Lync 2013 control panel Persistent chat section I see "All the channel servers are down"

Still, it seems only as an empty warning, since Pers chat service and rooms are accessible normally, and users are able to chat in those rooms.

But seeing this when starting the client is not very good, and it raises many questions from end users.

Strane thing - when I start Control panel and connect to SfB pool int services url, the All channels down error is gone. It seems only Lync 2013 part of the site thinks some channels are down.

SfB Pers chat uses standalone SQL and named non default instance for its db needs, while Lync 2013 Pers chat db sits on the same node, but in default instance (different ports are assigned to both instances) - if that may be important somehow.

Does anyone know how to make those error messages go away, or what am I missing here?

Many thanks, 

Tomas

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 9:28 PM

All replies

• Hello Tomas,

Typically when you have multiple pChat pools, the client always look tries to contact all the pChat pools in the environment by sending the INVITE SIP packet to each pChat pools and expect the 200 OK from them.

In your case, you have added new SfB pChat pool in topology and published, in this case the clients will get to know that it does have 2 pChat pools in tyhe environment and as per the process/protocol clients are trying to contact your Lync 2013 pChat pool and getting the positive response, however when it tries to contact SfB pChat pool it is getting no response (May be the servers are not ready/ not reachable/ or services stopped).

So here are the below things to be checked

1. Check the SfB persistent chat servers are up and running. 
    2. Check the pChat services in all SfB pChat servers are running.
    3. Check the connectivity between Lync frontends and SfB Frontends (5061, 443 TCP).
    4. Check the connectivity between SfB frontends and SfB Pchat servers (5041 TCP).
    5. Check the connectivity between SfB pChat servers and SfB pChat backend SQL. (Whichever port you configured).

If one of the above check's output is negative, the clients behavior with the warning ""Your chatroom access may be limited due to an outage"" is expected.

Coming to the point where you SfB Persistent chat backend SQL and Lync 2013 backend SQL is hosted in same node : 

As far as the the connectivity between Pchat servers and it's backend SQL server is fine, there will be no issue here. However it is recommended to have dedicated backend SQL node for each pChat pools.

Revert back, if any queries.

Neeranjan Shettar (MyPage)

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 8:09 AM
  • Hi TomasCrha,

Agree with Neeranjan Shettar. In addition, as you are upgrading Lync 2013 environment to SFB 2015, according to your description, the Lync Server 2013 and SFB Server 2015 is coexistence. Based on the information, this issue may be occurred as the version of the pChat pool in the Lync Server 2013. After the upgrading completed, this issue may be fixed. 

Furthermore, you could also refer to this blog to find the steps about how to resolve the Warning of all persistent chat servers are down.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 9:25 AM
  • Hi TomasCrha,,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 5:33 AM
  • Hello,

sorry for my late answer, I was still checking what is wrong on our side.

Problem is, I am not able to start up RTCCHAT service on recently added Persistent chat node. It looks like it is running, but after 10 minutes Event log shows following error message:

Skype for Business Server 2015, Persistent Chat could not start due to the following exception:
     at 
    Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Chat.Server.ServerCommon.Exceptions.StopServerException: CmdID: d4d82746-2d69-4257-8109-e99208142ac0 The server could not restore db connection within the allowed time (00:10:00) using connection string: Data Source=database CNAME for pchat instance\pchat instance;Initial Catalog=mgc;Integrated Security=SSPI. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\COMPUTERACCOUNT$'.

Seems that persistent chat service is for some reason unable to connect to its respective databse instance. but I dont understand why.

Do you have any clue about this?

(I removed actual account and dns/instance names)

Thank you,

Tomas

Thursday, October 25, 2018 10:01 AM
  • Hi Tomas, 

Based on my research, I found an official document show the situation which is similar to yours, you could refer the this document: Event ID 53106 "Unable to save message" is logged in Lync Server 2013 Persistent Chat Compliance Server

According to the official document, this issue occurs because users are connected to a different server when they move between Persistent Chat servers or rejoin a chat room. But the compliance service isn't tracking the join entry. This causes the server to write errors. If you want to fix this issue, you need to install the cumulative update for Lync Server 2013 Persistent Chat Server. In your environment, as you are doing upgrading, you could wait for the upgrading completed.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Monday, October 29, 2018 5:51 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2018 9:35 AM
  • Hi Tomas,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 7:01 AM
  • Are there any updates for this issue, if the reply is helpful, please try to mark it as an answer,  it will help others who have similar issue.

Neeranjan Shettar (MyPage)

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Friday, November 9, 2018 6:39 PM