multimedia device controller not working on gateway desktop RRS feed

• Question

• i have a gateway desktop  GM5470E and when i go under the device manager it says the dvd/cd part is working properly, but under the multimedia device it says it not installed i have no ideal what happened i have not installed anythiing new recently when i put a cd in for itunes it says insert a  cd when there is a blank cd in. i have tried all kinds of cds/dvds in the drive and they will not play but will play in another computer. if anyone can help plz do im in need of using the drive like ASAP! thanks
    Kimberly Cambron
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 12:39 AM

All replies

• first, check gateway website and download recent drivers for cd/dvd/cotroller hardware for your specific laptop model.dont install it yet.

next, i suggest you uninstall the cd/dvd drive/controller from device manager. then restart.after restart, windows prompts if it should install new found hardware automatically, dont allow. then install the drivers you downloaded.

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Monday, November 15, 2010 12:37 AM
  • i have done that already and on the gateway site does nto help, and when i restart it, it says it lookin but could not find it and to go on to the manufacturer site, now i cant even find it on the device manager so now i think it is completely removed. :(
    Kimberly Cambron
    Monday, November 15, 2010 5:40 PM
  • whats ur laptop model, let me chck d site 4 u.
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Monday, November 15, 2010 7:41 PM
  • Hi Kimberly,

Please download the driver from the Gateway site.

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Also, you may try to perform update to obtain the latest driver.

References:

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

Tips for fixing common driver problems

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:27 AM
  • its a desktop Gateway GM5470E IVE TRIED THE GATEWAY SITE BUT NOTHING HELPS
    Kimberly Cambron
    Friday, November 19, 2010 12:09 AM