none
System State & Bare Metal Recovery "Replica is inconsistent" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I understand there are several questions related to this, and I have looked through them to try to figure this out,  but none of the answers in those seem to be able to help.  As the title states, I am getting "Replica is inconsistent" on my backup in SCDPM 2010.  I have checked to make sure the Windows Backup feature is installed on the server being backed up, and it is.  Also, there is more then 10GB of free space on the disk being backed up to.  These are the two most common answers to the issue I am seeing, and neither is helping.

I do not know what information you need to assist with this.  The server being backed up is Server 2008, has Windows Backup feature installed and is in the same domain as the SCDPM computer.  If I need to give additional information, please ask, and I will provide.

Thank you for your assistance,  I really do appreciate it, as Google has exhausted its limits on this issue. 

Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please follow the below steps and see if that helps you resolve the issue.

Please check the protected server (PS) and make sure the Windows backup feature is installed and if already installed look for any event messages on the PS for Windows backup that may detail the cause of the failure. 

To test BMR backup outside of DPM, try this command:

1) Set up a network share on a remote machine \\server\bmrshare

2) From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare

This should show you the list of volumes included in the BMR backup and ask "Do you want to start the backup operation?. - Type Y to continue..

3) Troubleshoot any Windows backup problems that occur, once this works, DPM should be able to take BMR backups.

Windows 2008 backup logs are located in the %windir%\logs\WindowsServerBackup folder

If the error isn't self explanatory, please open a thread in the Windows backup group concerning the wbadmin error.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup

4) Check the disk space required for the BMR by looking at the \\server\bmrshare and make sure the replica Volume on the DPM server has enough disk space allocated to hold the BMR backup.

NOTE: BMR backup does NOT require any disk space on the PS, Windows backup writes directly to the DPM Servers replica volume. However, if you only select SystemState (not bmr option) - then DPM will require ~15GB free space on the PS.

When you initiate a BMR backup from DPM, While the BMR backup is in progress, Start task manager, then under performance, Open up resource monitor on both the PS and DPM Server.  On the protected server you should see the wbengine.exe read activity from the \Device\harddiskVolumeShadowCopy##  - that is the snapshot taken by wbengine at the start of the backup.  On the DPM server you should see write activity to the replica volume from SYSTEM, to the path Device\harddiskVolumeX\guid\Full\C-VOL\WindowsImagebackup\Machine_name\Backup date-time\guid.vhd.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please follow the below steps and see if that helps you resolve the issue.

Please check the protected server (PS) and make sure the Windows backup feature is installed and if already installed look for any event messages on the PS for Windows backup that may detail the cause of the failure. 

To test BMR backup outside of DPM, try this command:

1) Set up a network share on a remote machine \\server\bmrshare

2) From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare

This should show you the list of volumes included in the BMR backup and ask "Do you want to start the backup operation?. - Type Y to continue..

3) Troubleshoot any Windows backup problems that occur, once this works, DPM should be able to take BMR backups.

Windows 2008 backup logs are located in the %windir%\logs\WindowsServerBackup folder

If the error isn't self explanatory, please open a thread in the Windows backup group concerning the wbadmin error.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup

4) Check the disk space required for the BMR by looking at the \\server\bmrshare and make sure the replica Volume on the DPM server has enough disk space allocated to hold the BMR backup.

NOTE: BMR backup does NOT require any disk space on the PS, Windows backup writes directly to the DPM Servers replica volume. However, if you only select SystemState (not bmr option) - then DPM will require ~15GB free space on the PS.

When you initiate a BMR backup from DPM, While the BMR backup is in progress, Start task manager, then under performance, Open up resource monitor on both the PS and DPM Server.  On the protected server you should see the wbengine.exe read activity from the \Device\harddiskVolumeShadowCopy##  - that is the snapshot taken by wbengine at the start of the backup.  On the DPM server you should see write activity to the replica volume from SYSTEM, to the path Device\harddiskVolumeX\guid\Full\C-VOL\WindowsImagebackup\Machine_name\Backup date-time\guid.vhd.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 10:13 PM
  • Hi,

please check the Error Message in your DPM console and the Error in the Windows Backup on the protected Computer

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Friday, May 16, 2014 5:57 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your replies.  Mike, I have performed the steps you described.  There were no errors when I performed the manual backup.  This went correctly.  When I did step 4, and looked at the size of the backup in the share folder,  it said 57GB.  I looked at the replica volume, and it did not look big enough to hold the backup.  I increased the size of this, and did a verification.  I will post in a bit when the verification is complete. 

Monday, May 19, 2014 2:51 PM