RDS 2016 and Access Runtime 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have Access runtime 2016 installed on my Server 2016 RDS server. I have published it as a RemoteApp and have created a .rdp file that my users can double-click on to open it. The problem I am running into is that they are receiving this error message from within Access:

"Can't find the database you specified, or you didn't specify a database at all. Specify a valid database name in the command line, and include a path if necessary."

After some research, it sounds like this is the expected behavior of MS Access runtime if you try to open the executable directly. If you try opening a .accdb file, it will open that file without any problems.

My question is this:

Is there a way to edit the .rdp shortcut so that a specific database opens up using Access runtime? Or is there another way to accomplish the same thing?

Thank you!

Monday, October 7, 2019 11:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In Server Manager -- RDS -- Collections -- <yourCollection> -- RemoteApp Programs, edit the Properties of the RemoteApp.  On Parameters tab, select Always use the following command-line parameters.  In the box enter the full path to the file you would it to open.

After making the above change, please test by launching the RemoteApp from a client PC and if it doesn't work properly, exit Access, make changes to what you have in the required command-line parameters box, and then test again.

Thanks.

-TP

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In Server Manager -- RDS -- Collections -- <yourCollection> -- RemoteApp Programs, edit the Properties of the RemoteApp.  On Parameters tab, select Always use the following command-line parameters.  In the box enter the full path to the file you would it to open.

After making the above change, please test by launching the RemoteApp from a client PC and if it doesn't work properly, exit Access, make changes to what you have in the required command-line parameters box, and then test again.

Thanks.

-TP

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:06 AM
  • HI
    I agree with Mr TP.
    I think we need to specify . command-line parameters in box like 
    start "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\msaccess.exe" "C:\My Documents\mymdb.aacdb"

You may receive the "Can't find the database you specified" error message when you open an Access database by using a shortcut
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/826137/you-may-receive-the-can-t-find-the-database-you-specified-error-messag

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:07 PM
  • This worked perfectly. Thank you very much TP.

With that being said, is there any way to expand on this same idea and make is so that specific users can open their own databases instead of being tied down to just the one we specify in the command-line parameters box?

My users are getting to their RemoteApp by using a .rdp file on their desktop. Is there a way to edit each individual's .rdp file so that it opens their specific database file?

I've opened the .rdp file with notepad and have played around with the "remoteapplicationcmdline:s:" line, but it doesn't seem to do anything, or maybe I'm using the incorrect syntax. I've just tried entering the file path of the database like with did with the command-line parameters box in the RemoteApp settings.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 4:53 PM
  • HI
    Is there a way to edit each individual's .rdp file so that it opens their specific database file?
    did you try to publish
    Microsoft Access 2016 not Microsoft Access Runtime to complete it ?
    What is the difference between Access and the Microsoft Access Runtime?
    http://accesshosting.com/difference-access-microsoft-access-runtime

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:39 AM