none
Retiring a disk in storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Hp Proliant server running DPM 2010. I have recently migrated off the replicas that were on the local disk of that server to a new NAS we have via ISCSI. I was able to transfer all the replicas via the migratedatasourcefromdpm.ps1 script, except one replica. This replica is still sitting on the local disk, but it is not in any of my protection groups and I remember removing this replica from one of my protection groups weeks ago. Basically I want to remove this disk from the storage pool and I can't because of this replica still being left behind. Also, even though I moved the replicas with the script above, I still have replicas on this local disk, they just dont report in DPM anymore What I would like to do is remove all these replicas so I can retire this disk. Any opinions on what to do?

Thanks,

Alex

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

So if you are certain all the data sources were indeed migrated, and that the retention period has passed so DPM should have expired the recovery points and deleted those volumes, then you can safely delete the volumes and convert the disk back to basic before removing it from the server.

NOTE: If the retention period has not passed and that is the reason the volmes have not yet been removed by DPM, and you still want to remove the disk because the recovery points on the new disk is good enought, then you can modify the PG and reduce the retention period.  Run the pruneshadowcopies2010.ps1 power shell script to expire the RP's and then see if the volumes are automatically deleted by DPM.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:05 AM