none
Inventory option disappeared RRS feed

• Question

• After years of using this tape drive (Dell ML6000), this morning, after cycling out and in tapes in the library, I noticed that the Inventory option is missing on my Management screen:

Tried to use PS to try to get the system to Inventory, no luck:

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> Get-DPMLibrary -DPMServerName dpm-2

Name                     Drives           Slots       I/E ports Protection groups

----                     ------           -----       --------- ---------------

Library: Del...               3             114              18 File Servers...

Stand-alone ...               1               0               0

Stand-alone ...               1               0               0

Stand-alone ...               1               0               0

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $DPMLibrary = Get-DPMLibrary -DPMServerName dpm-2

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> Start-DPMLibraryInventory -DPMLibrary $DPMLibrary -FastInventory

Start-DPMLibraryInventory : Cannot convert 'System.Object[]' to the type 'Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.LibraryManagement.Library' required by parameter 'DPMLibrary'. Specified method is not supported.

At line:1 char:38

+ Start-DPMLibraryInventory -DPMLibrary <<<<  $DPMLibrary -FastInventory

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Start-DPMLibraryInventory]

, ParameterBindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgument,Microsoft.Internal.Enterpr

iseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.StartInventory

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:45 PM

Answers

• First of all, you shouldn't pass multiple objects into Start-DpmLibraryInventory like you are doing now. Use filters to get only tape library, w/o stand-alone drives:

$DPMLibrary = Get-DPMLibrary -DPMServerName dpm-2 | where {$_.Name -like 'Library:*'}

"Inventory" option will be available only when you select library itself in DPM mgmt. UI. If it is not available even whe you select a library in UI, please, share with us screenshot with Library and Drives sections expanded.

http://kf.lj.ru

• Marked as answer by cbrun Wednesday, March 5, 2014 3:10 PM
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 2:33 PM

All replies

• First of all, you shouldn't pass multiple objects into Start-DpmLibraryInventory like you are doing now. Use filters to get only tape library, w/o stand-alone drives:

$DPMLibrary = Get-DPMLibrary -DPMServerName dpm-2 | where {$_.Name -like 'Library:*'}

"Inventory" option will be available only when you select library itself in DPM mgmt. UI. If it is not available even whe you select a library in UI, please, share with us screenshot with Library and Drives sections expanded.

http://kf.lj.ru

• Marked as answer by cbrun Wednesday, March 5, 2014 3:10 PM
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 2:33 PM
  • I had selected "slots" in the Library.  Your statement:  '"Inventory" option will be available only when you select library itself in DPM mgmt. UI. If it is not available even whe you select a library in UI' put me back on track.  Many thanks.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 3:12 PM