how to change a standard user to power user in windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to figure out how to change the permissions for my standard user account to power user. I don't want to run my home system solely as an administrator, and have created a separate admin account, but I would like to be able to make certain changes in my system on an as-needed basis (ie. installing updates for Adobe, etc.). My current standard account doesn't allow me to accomplish these kinds of tasks. Is it possible to change my everyday account to a Power User and if so, how do I accomplish this?
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:51 AM

Answers

• Power users are obsolete starting with Vista. All ACL entries are removed.

So ,DON'T USER POWER USERS any longer!

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Thursday, August 5, 2010 12:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:02 AM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 12:00 PM

All replies

• If you log in with the local administrator account you will need to access 'Computer Management'. To do this, right click on My Computer and select Manage. Depending on your UAC settings you may get a prompt for credentials again.

When Computer Management opens expand Local Users and Groups and Expand Groups. Within here is Power Users and you can then add the username of your standard account you wish to become a Power User

Hope this helps

Thursday, August 5, 2010 8:34 AM
  • Power users are obsolete starting with Vista. All ACL entries are removed.

So ,DON'T USER POWER USERS any longer!

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Thursday, August 5, 2010 12:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:02 AM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 12:00 PM
  • @Andre:  I keep seeing articles and forum items saying Powere users is absolete, but yet I see the Power Users in my local groups.  So the account is still there, but it doesn't have additional rights?  What are the "Power Users" rights equal to?  The "Users" group?
    Monday, August 23, 2010 6:08 PM
  • @Andre:  I keep seeing articles and forum items saying Powere users is absolete, but yet I see the Power Users in my local groups.  So the account is still there, but it doesn't have additional rights? 
    Correct. The group is still present, but has no rights. The ACL entries of the file system are completely removed.

Monday, August 23, 2010 9:18 PM
  • @Andre:

Hi then, what is the alternative. I've got a requirement were I need to provide power user like access to my users but not full administrative rights.

I've got laptop users who are roaming and sometimes they require IT support. In such cases where they don't have power user rights they need a physical presense of the IT guy.

Any solution to this.?

Thanks,

Jaydeep

Saturday, March 23, 2013 6:19 AM