none
DPM 2012 R2 Corrupting Access DB's RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have discovered that DPM seems to be corrupting Access DB's. We have just gone to restore some and no matter what version we select it is corrupt when we try to open it and Access runs a repair losing the table we need to restore (sods law).

We have successfully restored Access DB's in the past with no issues. I have run a manual recovery point on the data with an integrity check via PowerShell and can recover this successfully but we cannot recover what we need which is a major concern.

Reading an older post (below) it looks to have centred around McAfee and on checking ours it looks like an update to McAfee EPO left the DPM servers without AV exceptions which could be the issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bbb20155-4981-41f8-8327-eca8a25d1d1a/microsoft-access-databases-corrupt-after-dpm-2010-restore?forum=dpmfilebackup

Is there a way to recover these db's from the older RPs without corruption or are we screwed?

Thanks

Sunday, January 24, 2016 11:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I've encountered this problem before where there was no anti-virus installed on the server hosting the Access DBs.
    As Access does not have any VSS Writer, the only way to be sure that your backups are consistent and recoverable are to schedule a backup of the Access DBs and configure DPM to backup the "backup-files". 

My knowledge in Acces are very limited but there is features to perform backups manually in Access and also use a scheduler to do it on scheduled basis.

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Thursday, January 28, 2016 9:29 AM
  • Thanks for coming back, we seem to have resolved the issue in this particular case by scheduling a manual recovery point with integrity check via PowerShell as the volume is small.

This is far from ideal for volumes on larger file servers (volumes of 1tb and over) as these take a very long time to complete (especially for those over WAN links). 

There are potentially hundreds of DB's spread around the network across a large number of servers, it doesn't seem feasible that DPM cannot protect them without manual intervention.

DPM is working so well in all other aspects, is there no proper answer to this?

• Edited by [Malco] Thursday, February 11, 2016 2:41 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 2:39 AM
  • Update:

We are having to run regular integrity checks which is not ideal as they can take a looooong time on large file servers.

I note there have been other issues in the past with DPM corrupting Access files amongst others. Some surrounded AV. We run McAfee VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.8 Patch 5.

We have the relevant exceptions in place found here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757911.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Server 2012R2 (patched and up to date)

DPM 2012 R2 UR5

Surely we should have to run integrity checks every day?

Friday, February 26, 2016 12:49 AM