none
Windows & install problem

Question

• I am having trouble installing Windows 7 Pro.

I have a nearly new, barebones computer. It was working properly and then started performing much slower. I have assumed that it is the hard drive packing it up. So, time to move on. 

I have a 1 TB SATA drive and also a smaller IDE drive. The previous drive was a SATA.

I installed the SATA drive and have attempted to reinstall Windows 7. I have Windows on a CD and on a flash drive. Neither work when booting. So, I divert into the BIOS on startup and designate where to go (cd or flash).  It seems to try to attempt to read the drives, but then I get the same message. “Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key” I hit enter and the same message keeps coming up regardless the fact a CD or flash with Windows is available.

I have tried the installation with both SATA drive and the IDE drive and get the same result.

I am quite sure that the install program is fine as I have put them in other computers and they come up with the install screen.

Any ideas what the problem might be?  Anything else I can test?

• Moved by Victoria Xia Monday, November 30, 2015 6:34 AM win7 related
    Friday, November 27, 2015 10:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you should move this into the Forum: Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment

Definitely not a SharePoint question.

Cheers,

Grant.

Saturday, November 28, 2015 12:56 AM
  • Hi jimrays,

It seems that the BIOS cannot load the CD since you have set the boot option for CD. We consider your BIOS version is too old to load USB and CD drive. We suggest you revert back your old hard drive into the PC and update the BIOS firmware version. After that, change the new hard drive and check the issue again.

If the issue is still persisted, you need to contact the manufacturer for help due to the CD could not load in BIOS but not load in Windows, and the BIOS is managed by the manufacturer.

Hope that will be helpful to you.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 5:25 AM