none
Fatal error: cannot create 'R_TempDir' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I am trying to get started with Microsoft R Services on SQL Server 2016 Standard edition and have hit a road block. I am getting the (by now) notorious Fatal Error message;

Msg 39012, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Unable to communicate with the runtime for 'R' script. Please check the requirements of 'R' runtime.

STDERR message(s) from external script:

Fatal error: cannot create 'R_TempDir'

I have followed the steps listed at this URL https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt696069.aspx and am stuck at step 4. I am getting the above error when I am executing the following code, listed at the above URL;

exec sp_execute_external_script  @language =N'R',  
    @script=N'OutputDataSet<-InputDataSet',    
    @input_data_1 =N'select 1 as hello'  
    with result sets (([hello] int not null));  
    go  

My understanding is, that since I have SQL Server 2016 Standard edition, I do not need to uninstall my current R Services and install them again, as this is required for prior editions CTP etc.

I have also tried steps listed here https://sqljunkieshare.com/2016/01/05/fixsolvedunable-to-communicate-with-the-runtime-for-r-script-please-check-the-requirements-of-r-runtime-fatal-error-cannot-create-r_tempdir/ but to no avail.

I am attaching the properties screenshot of my SQL Server instance.

SQL Server instnace properties

Looking forward to the experts to help me out!

Thanks

Kaz

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Kaz,

Is 8dot3 file names enabled on D: volume? Or in other words what's the output of following command:

c:\>fsutil.exe 8dot3name query d:

This should help us troubleshoot the problem. The linked blog you used to fix by using c:\temp folder is wrong advice as its inherently insecure and wouldn't work in majority of the scenarios.

Vijay

Thursday, November 10, 2016 12:30 AM