none
When Saturdays are made into working days on the project calender it adds days/duration to the overall project schedule. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm creating a new calendar with Saturdays changed from non-working to working days and when the calendar is applied to the existing project it extends the duration. It also adds decimal points to some of the duration numbers.

It seems like adding extra days to the work week/ calendar would shorten the overall days of the project but this is not happening.

Thanks for any help, Greg.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

Indeed your assumption is correct : adding a working day in the working week should reduce the duration.

But there are more parameters to take into account:

• Do you have constraints on the tasks (for example start dates)?
    • Do you have resources assigned to the task?
    • Do you have actual work on those resources?
    • Does the resources have specific calendars with exceptions?

Please give us more information about your project plan and the way you went to this behavior and we'll be pleased to help you.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:55 PM
  • The only constraints are the start activity and the complete activity. There are resources assigned to each task. Not sure what you mean by "actual work " on the tasks. The project has not started so no progress or percent completed are on any resources if that is what you mean. All resources are on the default "standard" calendar.

I have input my project info and the desired completion date using a regular 5 day work week exceeded the desired completion date, so for a quick check to see where a 6 day work week would get us I created a custom calendar with Saturdays being "Working" days and Sundays being "Non-working" days for the weekends.  My project duration is about 7 months and when I applied the 6 day work week calendar to the project it pushed the end date 10 days further out. Seemed strange to me.

Let me know if you need more info, Greg.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:52 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Could you send me the file to : guillaumeDOTrouyreATgcosiDOT.com (replace the capital letter)?

Let me know when it's done.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:58 PM
  • On it's way.
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:35 PM
  • Hi Greg,

I actually got it.

In your first group of task (design and permitting), the first and the last task of the group are manually schedulled, meaning that they are not impacted by the working week change. Thus the start and finish dates of your summary task will remain the same, evenif if you add a working day in the calendar.

But adding the saturday as a working day, it will add 1 day by week for the duration of the summary task, this is why you jump from 55 to 67 days adding saturday as working day.

In conclusion, be careful with manually scheduled tasks.

Before applying saturday as working day:

After applying:

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:00 PM
  • This still doesn't make the end date earlier. I am trying to get the end date to sooner than what is shown.

My assumption is that working more days each week the total amount of weeks would decrease. Could it be a duration issue? The numbers in the duration column have decimal points in it after I apply the 6 day calendar.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:33 PM
  • Hi Greg,

The duration will remain the same, that is absolutely normal: a 6 days task will still last for 6 days, no matter of the calendar. Just the finish date should move.

In your case the duration changes due to the manual-scheduled milestones in the first group of tasks.

But your project will finish earlier, that is the expected effect of adding a working day. As you can see, before adding saturday as a working day, it finished on october 14th:

After you add the saturday as a working date, it finishes on september 5th:

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:53 PM
  • I changed the 3 manual scheduled tasks and it still pushed the end date to 10-24.
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:33 PM
  • Hi Greg,

As you saw in my previous screenshots, the end date of your project moves correctly to the 5th of september. Can you confirm that?

Then if I change the 3 manually scheduled milestones to automatic, they'll jump to the project start date (1st of january). Thus it will change the duration/start/finish dates of the design summary task (finishing on february 22nd instead of 24th) and the duration of project summary task (from 234 to 213 days). Note that now you changed milestones to automatic scheduled, the project duration is 213 days, compared to 222 days at the beginning.

Before:

After:

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:41 PM
  • There must be something with my project program that is messing this up. I start with 46 days of duration when I apply the 6 day calendar the duration jumps to 56 days.
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:02 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Be sure that the scheduling options in the menu File\options\schedule are aligned with your calendar, as explained in this excellent blog: 

http://ntrajkovski.wordpress.com/2011/04/12/scheduling-problems-in-ms-project-2010-2/

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:10 PM
  • Very informative article, unfortunately I still have the same issue.
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:23 PM
  • Hi Greg,

As I tried to explain you with a lot of screenshot, with the specific case of your project, it is NORMAL that the duration increase while adding the saturday as a working day, due to the first group of tasks that is constrained by the manually scheduled milestones. The consequence is that the boundaries of the summary task remain the same whereas you add 1 working day by week.

As I did, if you set the milestones to automatic scheduled, ensuring they don't have extra constraints (links, start dates), you should obtain what I got (some variations might be caused by a different week working time on my Project).

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:33 PM