Sound problems RRS feed

• Question

• A couple of weeks ago I downloaded and installed Windows 10 x64 Pro build 14393 on both my desktop and notebook systems.[I downloaded the iso and wrote it to a DVD as letting the normal update process do its thing never completed.]

The desktop is an HP Z400 workstation with 24 GB RAM and the notebook is a Sony Vaio with 8 GB. Since the update the notebook has been fine. On the desktop however I've had problems with the sound; when I'm playing anything, local DVD, local music or anything from the internet the sound is very "spotty" and keeps breaking up.

The motherboard has Realtek HD audio and I also have an nVidia Quadro 2000. I've tried deinstalling all the relevant drivers and reisntalling drivers newly downloaded from the relevant source.

I've replaced the NIC

All to no effect.

Does anybody have a suggestion?

Sunday, March 19, 2017 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It  seems that HP Z400 haven't been tested with Windows 10 well.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01709671

You can try the drivers for Windows 8 and install them under compatibility mode to check the results.

Also, support page on HP here can be your reference. If there is further problem on this workstation, HP support could be the best way for you to identify this issue:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04740515

Please Note:  This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:27 AM

All replies

• You cannot use both Realtek HD audio and  nVidia Quadro 2000 at a time.

Open Device Manager and uninstall all the related sound card drivers. Reboot and install the sound card driver which came either with Motherboard or the sound card which you installed.

Once done update the sound card driver from the support site of the manufacturer.

See also:

Windows 10 – Audio Troubleshooting Tips

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Monday, March 20, 2017 12:47 AM
  • Hi,

It  seems that HP Z400 haven't been tested with Windows 10 well.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01709671

You can try the drivers for Windows 8 and install them under compatibility mode to check the results.

Also, support page on HP here can be your reference. If there is further problem on this workstation, HP support could be the best way for you to identify this issue:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04740515

Please Note:  This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:27 AM
  • Hello,

Also, see if these suggestions helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/audio-not-working-after-upgrading-to-windows-10

Keep us posted, Good luck :)

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Monday, March 20, 2017 5:45 AM
  • Thanks for all the suggestions.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my initial post. I upgraded to Windows 10 a while ago and everything was working perfectly.

Over the past few months my systems (both of them) have attempted to install the anniversary update and failed. I downloaded the ISO file, wrote it to a DVD and ran the install/upgrade using that.

Both the notebook and the desktop ran through the process successfully but after this upgrade the sound problem appeared on the Z400 - hence the original post.

Bernard Kilshaw

Friday, March 24, 2017 8:17 AM
  • Kate, installing the Windows 8 drivers has fixed the problem.

Thanks for your advice.

Bernie

Bernard Kilshaw

Friday, March 24, 2017 10:36 AM